Senior Materials Scientist (Product development) - Abbott (Dexter)
Compensation: $75,535.00 - $128,600.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Scientific Research
Position Title:Senior Materials Scientist, Product Development
Location: Scarborough, Maine
At Abbott, diverse ideas, perspectives, and expertise allow us to create life-changing solutions that help people live healthier lives. In 150 countries and with businesses spanning nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices, and branded generic pharmaceuticals, Abbott offers you enormous opportunities to explore your interests and help you achieve your career and personal goals.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Materials Scientist (Product development) within our Abbott Rapid Diagnostics business located at Scarborough, Maine. In this role, you willserve as a Technical Lead/Troubleshooter who guides the design, development, and on-market support of single use Rapid Diagnostic tests from Feasibility to Manufacturing.
The Senior Scientist is a laboratory role. This technical lead, hands-on position will focus on lateral flow product development and on-market product support from feasibility through launch. The incumbent plays a critical role for the successful commercialization of products.
Abbott Rapid Diagnostics (formerly Alere) is part of Abbott's Diagnostics family of businesses, bringing together exceptional teams of experts and industry-leading technologies to support diagnostic testing which provides important information for treatment and management of diseases and other conditions.
- Responsible for troubleshooting day-to-day lab work of lateral flow development teams.Includes hands-on bench work for mentoring associate-level staff.Attention to experimental detail and 'best lab practices' required on a daily basis.
- Required to work across multiple projects, simultaneously, and with aggressive delivery milestones.
- Lead by example, provides leadership within the Infectious Diseases business unit, including but not limited to product development planning and execution, quality and regulatory compliance, technical support and issue resolution, improving process efficiency, application of DOE, process control, and statistical tools.
- Advanced degree in Materials Science discipline; PhD preferred
- Minimum of 6 years of direct product development/product support and successful product commercialization experience. At least 5 years relevant experience in the IVD/ Medical Device/Rapid Diagnostics field.
- Successful transfer and commercialization of on-market product(s)
- Demonstrated experience in engineered fibrous and porous materials and their characterization
- Experience in product development from early feasibility through successful transfer and product launch
- Strong working knowledge of design controls, development, commercialization and sustaining of medical diagnostic products
- Strong communication, problem solving skills and mentoring/leading troubleshooting teams at the bench
The successful candidate will have the following critical skills and competencies:
- Drive for Results: The candidate is energized by challenges and the opportunity to deliver. Using relevant business metrics, demonstrates technical leadership, resolves issues, seeks continuous process improvement, and achieves business goals.
- Leadership: The candidate will work across multiple projects and work with cross-functional teams. Must have leadership skills to create a strong, highly engaged and productive team. The candidate must demonstrate strong problem-solving and communication skills, able to work in a matrix environment balancing business priority and accomplishing business goals. This role requires strong technical expertise in lateral flow, manufacturing transfer and process control.
- Strategic Thinking: The candidate will layout clear implementation pathways that align Technical development activities to the priority of Business Unit. Works effectively with functional leads to align timeline commitments among project and cross-functional team such that agreed objectives and timings for completion of activities are achieved. Timely communicates, is quick to shift priority and adjust plan in order to drive for results under changing circumstances.
At Abbott, we're committed to helping people live their best possible life through the power of health. For more than 125 years, we've brought new products and technologies to the world -- in nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices and branded generic pharmaceuticals -- that create more possibilities for more people at all stages of life. Today, 99,000 of us are working to help people live not just longer, but better, in the more than 150 countries we serve.
An equal opportunity employer, Abbott welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce.
We provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation, please send an email to.
Associated topics: biochemistry, ceramic, chemistry, coating, formulation, glass, material, material science, polyurethane, rubber
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...