LG - Legal, Regulatory & Gov't Affairs
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): Up to 25%
Relocation Provided: Yes
American General Life Insurance Company
Associate General Counsel and Head of Legal - DSA P&C Solutions, Inc. (\"Fortitude Re Group\")
The role is responsible for all legal and regulatory aspects of DSA P&C Solutions, Inc. (DSA), a member company of the Fortitude Re Group, which provides claims adjusting and related services for legacy (run-off) property & casualty insurance policies. This position is a direct report to the Senior Vice President & General Counsel, Fortitude Group Holdings, LLC.
* Provide timely and cost effective legal support to DSA management and staff on all aspects of activity conducted by DSA, including with respect to:
* Claims Services and Third Party Administration (TPA) governance and controls, including:
* Developing TPA-related policies and procedures
* Monitoring and advising on laws and regulations applicable to the adjustment of claims under various property & casualty lines, including Workers' Compensation; General Liability; Excess Casualty; Pollution Liability; and Structured Settlements
* Oversight of regulatory exams and inquiries
* Data privacy and security
* Board and committee governance
* Claims Services and TPA Operations, including:
* Policyholder communications and regulatory inquiries
* Obtaining, maintaining and advising on TPA and adjuster licensing
* Processing of claims and commission payments
* Records management and retention
* Data privacy and security
* Contract drafting and negotiation, including:
* Administrative services agreements, third party administration agreements and related agreements, such as transition services and asset transfer agreements
* IT and non-IT vendor contracts and other outsourcing arrangements
* Accountable for managing lower level attorneys and paralegals as well as external coverage counsel.
* Responsible for partnering closely with the Compliance team, including by providing commercially useful legal advice.
* Accountable for building and maintaining strong working relationships with business and other functional teams.
* Responsible for monitoring governance practices, identifying any weaknesses and making recommendations for improvement to reflect best practices.
* Responsible for partnering closely with group legal team on matters including reinsurance and group-wide corporate governance
* Provide General Counsel with advice regarding all aspects of Property & Casualty claims adjusting and TPA activity.
* A minimum of 7 years of relevant experience with a highly recognized law firm or as a senior in-house counsel
* Experience with property & casualty complex claims adjusting and legal and regulatory issues related thereto, particularly with respect to legacy (run-off) portfolios
* Experience with claims adjuster and TPA licensing and regulatory requirements, legal issues and corporate governance
* Experience with property & casualty reinsurance
* Broad cross-functional expertise
* Proven effective communicator, demonstrating flexibility to adapt to different audiences
* Demonstrated experience as a change agent, driving innovative and effective approaches to problem solving
* Demonstrated commitment to excellence in the provision of legal advice
* Strong analytic and problem-solving skills
* Collaborative approach
* Discretion with confidential information
* Deep understanding of the legal system as it affects business
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
* Simultaneously flexible and detail-oriented
* Superior judgment
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.
Associated topics: attorney, attorney corporate, company, compliance office, corporate, corporate attorney, court, courtroom, internal, lawyer