We are seeking a midlevel to senior tax associate from a highly regarded law firm or public accounting firm who is seeking a career change and is interested in joining the dynamic Transactional Liability team of Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Company. The Transactional Liability team evaluates risks associated with Mergers & Acquisitions and other corporate transactions including: (i) Representations & Warranties Insurance; (ii) Tax Insurance; and (iii) Contingent Liability Insurance (e.g., litigation buy-outs and other known risk matters). The candidate will be an integral part of the rapidly growing Tax Insurance practice of the Transactional Liability team.
The candidate will analyze tax opinions and memoranda, due diligence reports, transaction documents and other information to evaluate a wide variety of tax risks. Tax risks include tax exposures arising from M&A, the tax-free treatment of restructuring activities, the validity of renewable energy and other tax credits, REIT qualification matters, Subchapter S-corporation elections and many other uncertain tax positions. Responsibilities will include: marketing to and building relationships with brokers, law firms, accounting firms and customers; utilizing tax acumen and skills to assess and analyze risks and offer appropriate terms and conditions at an appropriate rate, selecting and overseeing outside legal counsel; managing and evaluating both the results and adequacy of due diligence; drafting and negotiating tax insurance policy contract language (no prior policy drafting experience necessary); proactively responding to business and legislative changes impacting the tax environment; ensuring appropriate file documentation and compliance; assisting other members of the team on tax related issues of other Transactional Liability products, mentoring junior members of the team; and assisting with various departmental projects as necessary.
Essential Job Functions:
* Review and analyze opportunities for tax insurance involving a wide variety of tax issues.
* Work closely in a collaborative team environment and with outside tax counsel.
* Establish, develop and expand broker, law firm, accounting firm and customer relationships.
* Assist other team members in the analysis of tax-related exposure in M&A transactions.
* Work in a fast-paced environment, multi-task and make quick and independent decisions.
* Maintain awareness of the competitive environment in, and the unique risk profile of, the product line.
* No prior insurance experience is required.
* JD with a minimum of 4-9 years of tax experience at a highly regarded law firm or public accounting firm; additional tax degrees and/or tax experience will be a plus;
* Must be collaborative and team focused with strong interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills; and
* Familiarity with private equity and/or insurance markets will also be a plus.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Associated topics: adjuster, claim adjuster, claim investigator, damage, fraud, insurance, insurance adjuster, insurance examiner, liability adjuster, title examiner