Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance has an exciting opportunity for an experienced underwriter for Builders Risk. The position will be responsible for developing and underwriting US property construction business.
The successful team member will pre-qualify new business, analyze property and delay in start-up risk exposures and leverage experience and expertise to make sound underwriting decisions. This position will be market-facing and responsible for profitably developing and growing the product line. You will also identify and expand national and regional broker channels and develop customer relationships through production and marketing calls.
The underwriting focus will be on project-specific, technical construction risks with natural catastrophe exposures.
Essential Job Functions:
* Underwrite EAR, CAR and Heavy Civil projects
* Underwrite Completed Civil Risks (CCR)
* Develop and build a profitable book of Builders Risk and CCR business
* Establish, develop, and expand broker and customer relationships
* Develop marketing plans
* Analyze CAT peril modeling and pricing
* Work in a fast-paced environment, multi-task, and make quick decisions while maintaining underwriting integrity
* Travel within the territory
* 7-10+ years Builders Risk insurance experience, including EAR, CAR and Heavy Civil Works
* 7-10+ years engineering insurance experience with Completed Civil Risks preferred
* Experience working on Master Builders Risk programs and project-specific placements
* Strong existing broker relationships within the retail and wholesale brokerage community on national and regional levels
* Strong underwriting acumen and attention to detail
* Strong understanding of CAT peril modeling/pricing as applied to Builders Risk
* Experience and proficiency in policy wording, broker manuscript forms review and policy issuance
* Ability to collaborate and work within a Team Environment
* Must be entrepreneurial and a self-starter
* Willing to travel up to 20% of the time
* Excellent communication skills, including advanced negotiation, communications and presentation experience
* BA/BS with Engineering degree preferred
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team members may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Associated topics: underwriter