BNP Paribas is a leading bank in Europe with an international reach. It has a presence in 75 countries, with more than 189,000 employees, including more than 146,000 in Europe. The Group has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. The Group helps all its clients (individuals, community associations, entrepreneurs, SMEs, corporates and institutional clients) to realize their projects through solutions spanning financing, investment, savings and protection insurance. In Europe, the Group has four domestic markets (Belgium, France, Italy and Luxembourg) and BNP Paribas Personal Finance is the leader in consumer lending. BNP Paribas is rolling out its integrated retail-banking model in Mediterranean countries, in Turkey, in Eastern Europe and a large network in the western part of the United States. In its Corporate & Institutional Banking and International Financial Services activities, BNP Paribas also enjoys top positions in Europe, a strong presence in the Americas as well as a solid and fast-growing business in Asia-Pacific.
About BNP Paribas Corporate and Institutional Banking:
Fully integrated in the BNP Paribas Group, BNP Paribas Corporate and Institutional Banking (CIB) is a leading provider of solutions to two client franchises: corporates and institutionals, and operates across EMEA (Europe Middle East Africa), APAC (Asia Pacific) and the Americas. The bank is a global leader in Debt Capital Markets and Derivatives. It is a top European house in Equity Capital Markets and it has leading franchises in Specialized Financing. In Securities Services, it is a top five House worldwide. BNP Paribas CIB strives to service the global economy by providing solutions to its clients in financing (ECM, DCM, specialized financing), flow banking (trade finance and cash management), financial advisory (M & A, project finance), global markets (interest rates, credit, foreign exchange, equity derivatives), risk management, and securities services.
The NA Tax Operations Group is responsible for establishing operational procedures and controls to comply with IRS, FATCA, and AEOI regulations relating to US tax information reporting. Tax Operations governs the maintenance of tax documentation (e.g. Forms W-8 and W-9, CRS self-certifications), withholding and remittance of taxes to US Treasury, and issuance of annual 1099, 1042-S, 945, 1042 reporting to both external clients and the IRS. Additionally, Tax Operations supports clients invested in foreign markets by providing guidance for EDS elections for the application of favorable foreign dividend withholding tax rates, and by filing tax reclaims with foreign government tax authorities. The group collaborates with Corporate Tax to assess the impact of new tax legislation, and engages with transversal resources to develop plans to respond and/or comply with new regulations. To the extent a new business process is required; Tax Operations develops business requirements and ensures that IT and operational procedures are enhanced to support regulatory change. The team is highly collaborative internally across BNP Paribas Corporate Institutional Banking Americas and externally with clients within the Bank. Tax Operations covers multiple business lines, functions, and regions within various BNP Paribas entities.
Functions of the Tax Operations Documentation and Control team includes transversal business lines
- Support of tax form collection during client onboarding/recertification applicable
- Perform level 2 control such as the control of the IRS tax remittance process
- Perform oversight of level 1 control documented via ORUS
- Act as a key IRS contact and maintain correspondence
- Perform IRS 945 and 1042 transcript research
- Implement and perform controls around the monitoring of IRS receivables and payables
- Coordination with client onboarding and due diligence groups to ensure proper account tax documentation solicitation and tracking
- Research of client tax form correction requests regarding RIC and REIT reclassifications, foreign tax withholding and other tax related issues
- Reconciliation of yearend tax liabilities versus weekly IRS deposits
Supervision of staff daily controls and regulatory reports
Assistance with regulatory projects and development of controls necessary to implement new tax rules, and regulations, and to ensure compliance within those rules
Identification and participation in process design to achieve better controls, compliance and efficiency
Support of audits with IRS and Internal Audit (IA), and any other special audits
Review, validation, re-certification and processing of forms W-8 and W-9 and related documentation according to IRS Chapter 3, chapter 61, and FATCA regulations
Review and maintenance of written Tax Operations policy and procedures, gap analysis, and response to inquiries from operational areas and central teams
Assist with obtaining market specific documentation from clients to assist with EDS elections and long form reclaims, and interact with Dividends and Income team to support EDS elections
Supervision of Global Custody activity, foreign tax reclaim submissions, including tracking aged items, assisting with periodic outreaches to foreign tax authorities, and providing training to Tax Operations colleagues
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or similar.
- 3 - 6 years tax information reporting, withholding and tax document management experience
- Understanding and expert knowledge of IRS Forms W-9 and W-8 and their associated requirements; Forms 1099 series, 1042-S; Forms 945 and 1042
- Strong knowledge of Income Sourcing rules
- Experience and familiarity with global markets
- Highly ethical and control oriented
- Strong team and leadership skills
- Innovative and adept at assessing process improvement
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of tax accounting rules and regulations
- Knowledge of Broadridge systems/products
- Experience in the development and deployment of reporting systems / tools
- Understanding of system requirements and capabilities to ensure appropriate controls and processes
- High Proficiency in standard Microsoft applications including Excel
- Strong communication, multi-tasking, analytical, and organizational skills
- Solutions-oriented thinker who is able to generate creative ideas
- Effective analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of TMS (Tax Managed Services) system
- Proficiency in MD3 validation software
- Experience using DTC
FINRA Registrations Required:
- Not Applicable
BNP Paribas is committed to providing a work environment that fosters diversity, inclusion, and equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, age, creed, sex, religion, national origin, disability (physical or mental), marital status, citizenship, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, or any other legally protected status.
Standard / Permanent
Bachelor Degree or equivalent (>= 3 years)
At least 2 years
Ability to collaborate / Teamwork
Ability to manage / facilitate a meeting, seminar, committee, training...
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.