Business Insider is hiring a paid editorial fellow to write about technology.
The Insider Fellowship Program is for early career journalists who want to spend six months learning from a newsroom full of passionate, dedicated journalists. Fellows are assigned to teams and become experts in digital storytelling. They produce real work that is distributed to our audience of millions, and by the end of six months are prepared for the next phase of their journalism careers. For more information on the Insider Fellowship Program, see here.
Fellows on our tech team write about topics like Silicon Valley's impact on our society, what it takes to be successful in the industry, and the personalities involved, all in the unique Business Insider style. They spend their time doing meaningful work: researching, writing, pitching and producing features - even breaking news if the timing is right. They have the opportunity to contribute to stories about things ranging from trending food apps to the lack of tech savvy among some members of Congress.
All our editorial fellows should have:
* Experience reporting and writing (school publications are great)
* A passion for digital storytelling and voracious reading habits
* Familiarity with digital and social media
* Ability to work quickly and collaboratively with a fast-paced team
* Light HTML and/or Photoshop experience
* Proofreading and copyediting skills
Additionally, for the tech team, we're looking for someone with the following:
* An interest in covering technology
* A general knowledge of the major people, products, and companies in the tech industry
* A willingness to cover a wide range of topics and proactively answer the questions readers have about the big stories of the week
* The ability to cut through the noise and quickly surface what's newsworthy
* A strong work ethic and attention to detail
This is an hourly paid fellowship based out of our New York office. Fellows are encouraged to work 40 hours a week, and fellowships run for six months. Start date for this position will be in June.
Created for the digital generation, Business Insider is the largest business news site in the U.S. and one of the fastest-growing news brands in the world. We embrace the themes of positive change and innovation and use fast, fun, and informative storytelling to cover the business, tech, and finance news stories you need to know to work, play and live better.
APPLY HERE with a resume and cover letter telling us why you want to be our tech fellow. Please include links to relevant clips if you have them.
Associated topics: columnist, comedy writer, contributing editor, drama, fiction, novel, romance, social media, syfy, writer editor