Business Insider is hiring a paid visual features fellow to tell photo-driven stories about consumer topics for our retail team. We are especially interested in candidates with photography skills and experience telling visual stories.
The Insider Fellowship Program is for early career journalists who want to spend six months learning from a newsroom full of passionate, dedicated journalists. Fellows are assigned to teams and become experts in digital storytelling. They produce real work that is distributed to our audience of millions, and by the end of six months are prepared for the next phase of their journalism careers. For more information on the Insider Fellowship Program, see here.
Fellows on our retail team write about topics like fast food, shopping, and e-commerce in the unique Business Insider style. They spend their time doing meaningful work: researching, writing, pitching, and producing features - even breaking news if the timing is right. They have the opportunity to contribute to stories like:
* This East Coast cult favorite just beat In-N-Out to be named America's favorite burger chain for the second year in a row - here's what it's like
* We shopped at TJ Maxx and Kohl's to see which store was better, and the winner was clear for one key reason
* 50 stores you once loved that you'll never be able to shop at again
All our editorial fellows should have:
* Experience reporting and writing (school publications are great)
* A passion for digital storytelling and voracious reading habits
* Familiarity with digital and social media
* Ability to work quickly and collaboratively with a fast-paced team
* Light HTML and/or Photoshop experience
* Proofreading and copyediting skills
Additionally, for the retail team, we're looking for someone with the following:
* An interest in covering retail news, including companies like McDonald's, Macy's, and Amazon and trends like dying malls and online shopping
* A passion for telling visual stories
* Basic photography skills
* An eagerness to create photo-driven stories on the topics and companies our readers love
This is an hourly paid fellowship based out of our New York office. Fellows are encouraged to work 40 hours a week, and fellowships run for six months. Start date for this position will be in March or June.
Created for the digital generation, Business Insider is the largest business news site in the U.S. and one of the fastest-growing news brands in the world. We embrace the themes of positive change and innovation and use fast, fun, and informative storytelling to cover the business, tech, and finance news stories you need to know to work, play and live better.
APPLY HERE with a resume and cover letter telling us why you want to be our visual features fellow for retail. Please include links to relevant clips if you have them. Indicate whether you would be able to start in March or in June. Application is due March 15.
Associated topics: communication specialist, headline, journalism, journalist, news, newspaper, newsperson, publication, reporter, writer