Button's mission is to be\"the better way\" in mobile commerce. Today we work with some of the largest and most interesting businesses in the world, connecting customers through higher-quality, better-performing user experiences.
As the Director of the Platform organization, you will lead the teams which build our foundational products, APIs and Frameworks. You will be joining us in an exciting time(if challenges of growth and scale interest you). We serve and process several billion requests and data points per month and are actively expanding our global footprint.
The Platform organization is responsible for real-time systems that sit on the critical path for revenue generation at Button. As the Director of this organization, you will lead teams of talented Engineers to continue to evolve the APIs with which our partners integrate, the core products that drive Button's business, as well as the frameworks on top of which integrations with some of the largest brands in the world are built.
As an Engineering Director, you will also have a significant influence over the Engineering culture at Button. You will partner with the VP of Engineering to identify and drive initiatives that support growth and development across all of Engineering and work as a part of our Engineering Leadership team to continue to build the culture of growth, inclusivity, and transparency that has makes Button one of the best places to work in NYC.
AS THE DIRECTOR OF PLATFORM YOU WILL:
* Set the strategy and long-term roadmap for the Platform organization. You will work with our Tech Leads and Product managers to identify the most impactful projects to focus on by building understanding and buy-in for that roadmap from the rest of the company.
* Driving hiring and growth for the organization. You will work with our recruiting team to identify and hire talented Engineers and will drive the evolution of the organizational structure as the team grows.
* Lead the professional development of multiple teams of Engineers, providing the opportunities and feedback needed for growth.
* Take ownership for the accuracy, reliability and continued development of multiple systems and APIs at the core of Button's business.
* Identify and drive initiatives that support the growth and development of all Engineers, and make Button a great place to work.
WE ARE LOOKING FOR TEAMMATES WHO HAVE:
* A passion for team-building: You are equally excited to hire as you are to grow and develop talent from within. You have led teams of 5+ engineers before, and you take pride in being a mentor. As a manager, you listen continuously and give direct and actionable feedback.
* An outstanding ability to evaluate trade-offs and facilitate quick decision making. We know there are many ways to build systems; you'll find and champion the best approaches for our team.
* Production experience: You have a track record in production system design and operational ownership from your days as an individual contributor. Your experience means you can swiftly understand design choices and trade-offs, and convincingly ward off bad ideas, whether or not you already have an innate fluency with our exact technical or business environment.
* A passion for building a distinct, inclusive and collaborative Engineering culture and a determination to remove roadblocks and inefficiencies from the process of building great software.
* Enthusiasm for collaborating cross-functionally to identify and lead the development of products that drive dramatic improvements for our partners.
MORE ABOUT US:
* Button was founded in 2014. We raised a $12M Series A in 2015 (led by Redpoint) and a $20M Series B in 2017 (led by Norwest). We're approximately 33 engineers and 100 people overall.
* We believe and invest in personal growth, and we've got the results to back it up. We've been recognized multiple times by Fortune and Crain's magazines as one of the best places to work in NYC, for example.
* We value diversity and come from all sorts of different backgrounds. Some of our teammates hail from big tech companies like Google; from financial giants like Bloomberg and MasterCard; and from previous startups like Chartbeat, Compass, and Blue Apron. We were especially proud the first time we hired a coding boot camp graduate.
YOU WILL WORK WITH:
* James (or Jimmy) McGill, VP of Engineering: Hailing formerly from both Australia and Google, he spends his weekends hiking, surfing and designing and building furniture. See James for all of your Vegemite needs.
* Mike Wakerly, CTO: Mikey is Button's Hawaiian shirt enthusiast and Chief Technology Officer. A former Googler and a San Francisco transplant, he loves mountain biking, tinkering on electronics, and any excuse to take a road trip.
* Jiaqi Liu, Tech Lead: is responsible for several backend and data engineering projects. An avid Pythonista and a frequent speaker at conferences large and small, outside of work she loves to mentor at hackathons and organize meet-ups for Women Who Code.
Button is committed to being a welcoming and inclusive workplace for everyone, and we are intentional about making sure people feel respected, supported and connected at work-regardless of who you are or where you come from. We value and celebrate our differences and we believe being open about who we are allows us to do the best work of our lives.
Button is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against qualified applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law, rule, or regulation.
Associated topics: design, engineering, manufacture, product, product manager, production, program manager, quality