Compensation: $64,580.00 - $104,060.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
The Center for Court Innovation is a non-profit organization that works to create a more effective and humane justice system by performing original research and helping launch reforms around the world. The Center creates operating projects that have been documented to reduce the use of jail and prison, assist victims of crime, and strengthen communities. Nationally and internationally, the Center performs original research and provides consulting services to justice innovators.
The Center operates four Save Our Streets (S.O.S.) sites, two in the South Bronx and two in Brooklyn.? S.O.S. is a replication of the Chicago Project for Violence Prevention?s evidence-based Cure Violence program, a cutting-edge gun violence prevention model that aims to reduce and prevent shootings through the use of public health strategies.?
S.O.S. Bronx is seeking two (2) part time Violence Interrupters for the Save Our Streets Bronx (Mott Haven & Morrisania) Program who will report to the Violence Interrupter and Outreach Worker Supervisors. Violence Interrupters work individually and as a team to prevent neighborhood shootings and killings. They provide conflict mediation services and serve as conduits to the program?s Outreach Workers.?????
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Work to intervene in circumstances in which gun violence is likely, including possible retaliation.
- Identify youth who are at-risk for being involved in violent activities and assist them.
- Learn about the causes of shootings/killings in order to assist in mediating situations and preventing retaliation between individuals and groups (e.g., working with the community, outreach programs to gain information that may be helpful in preventing additional killings).
- Form relationships with the people who are at the highest risk to experience violence in the community, as well as the people who know them
- Conduct outreach to the community (individually and as a team member) to build strong relationships with youth, residents, businesses, and community groups
- Talk to residents in the area of Mott Haven that includes Moore, Betances, St. Mary?s and Adams Houses and Morrisania that includes Forest and McKinley Houses about potential conflicts and assist in preventing them
- Participate in organizing responses to shootings and increasing visibility when shootings/killings take place
- Work with community partners to identify and diffuse ?hot spots? for shootings and violence
- Report to the S.O.S. Outreach Worker and Violence Interrupter Supervisors and keep him/her informed of all relevant community activities
- Document all contacts with high-risk individuals
- Document shootings and other acts of violence that are prevented
- Respond to shootings in other communities, when necessary
- Distribute public education materials to targeted audience
- Distribute information about community events and important resources
- Attend, participate and complete all program trainings
- Attend and help facilitate community events and shooting responses
- Attend weekly staff meetings and other team meetings as required
- Attend and participate in all S.O.S. Bronx and Center for Innovation trainings, meetings, workshops and conferences as required and assigned by supervisors
- Facilitate workshops and make presentations at schools, non-secure and secure detention centers a needed
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Individuals who are formerly incarcerated or have other experience in the criminal justice system are particularly invited to apply.
- Associates Degree (or higher) in human services field or equivalent and satisfactory experience preferred;
- An in-depth knowledge and familiarity of the South Bronx Mott Haven and Morrisania, with particular focus on Mott Haven: Adams, St. Mary?s, Moore and Betances Houses, Morrisania: Forest and McKinley is highly preferred;
- Reside within and are familiar with the South Bronx area preferred;
- Experience and knowledge of at-risk youth and gang involvement, with a commitment to stopping violence and working towards positive community change;
- Knowledge of street sets, crews, gangs and or groups;
- The ability to communicate with and build positive relationships with high-risk youth;
- Comfort managing a large number of diverse tasks;
- Able to walk 30 blocks or more on a regular basis;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Able to pass drug screening;
- No pending criminal cases or prior convictions for sexual assault, child abuse or domestic violence
- The ability to use a computer and Microsoft Office required
- Strong team skills and ability to work in a fast paced environment;
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that include late nights, weekends and holidays;
Position Type: Part Time (21 hours/week), evenings and weekend hours (MUST be able to work a flexible schedule of late nights, changing hours, over-nights, holidays and weekends.)
Compensation:? Salary range starts at $18.75/hr and is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package.
The Fund for the City of New York/Center for Court Innovation is an equal opportunity employer. The Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other category protected by law. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities as well as individuals with prior contact with the criminal justice system.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete an employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Associated topics: chaplain, community participating, consultant, coordinator, liaison, minister, program staff, project, representative, tutor
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...