Help Duties Summary
The Small Business/Self-Employed (SB/SE) Division provides examinations and taxpayer education services for about 7 million small businesses and upwards of 33 million self-employed and supplemental income taxpayers.
Position is in Examination, Specialty Examinations, BSA
Please see Other information for locations
Learn more about this agency
As an Internal Revenue Agent (Examination Analyst) you will:
* Provide advice and recommendations to Senior Management and the Area Director on critical, sensitive, or confidential matters. Consult and coordinate with senior management within the organization, and with staff analysts at higher levels within the agency on critical organizational or management issues affecting operating programs.
* Develop and present complete plans for activities assigned, and coordinates programs or program segments and related procedures. Has a significant role in and substantive impact in the establishment and monitoring of Area policy for segments of SB/SE Examination operations programs.
* Conduct special studies and analyze data to evaluate program accomplishments. Review and analyze statistical reports and develop other information to identify trends, deficiencies, potential problem areas and the impact of new programs having broad impact on examination activities, making recommendations to Area management in relation to the trends, problems, new programs, etc.
* Develop innovative solutions, documents findings, and makes written and verbal presentations to senior managers and/or executives.
* Conduct analysis which focuses on examination inventory and workload issues, monitors Examination work plans and delivery, and develops and prepares management reports. Make recommendations to improve the overall performance of the Area through analysis of operational data. Support area by conducting briefings, presentations at staff meetings, and by providing data and observations for operational reviews.
* Conduct workload and complete staff studies to ascertain appropriate staffing requirements.
* Provide guidance or documents used in the preparation of broad Area directives pertaining to the examination process and related programs.
* Prepare written reports, procedures, correspondence, referrals and forms that are clear, concise and accurately reflect the factual information. Serve as an expert technical advisor in providing guidance to management by interpreting/implementing new or modified policies.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Occasional travel - 1 to 5 Travel Nights per Month
* Job family (Series)
0512 Internal Revenue Agent
* Agents, Internal Revenue Service
* Agents, Revenue
* Internal Revenue Service Agents
* Revenue Agents
Help Requirements Conditions of Employment
* Please refer to \"Conditions of Employment.\"
* Click \"Print Preview\" to review the entire announcement before applying.
* Must be a U.S. Citizen or National
* Security Clearance Public Trust
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
You must have Bachelor's or higher degree in accounting from an accredited college or university that included at least 30 semester hours (45 quarter hours) in accounting or 24 semester hours in accounting and an additional 6 semester hours in related subjects such as business law, economics, statistical/quantitative methods, computerized accounting or financial systems, financial management or finance. OR
A combination of experience and education at an accredited college or university equivalent to a four year degree that included courses equivalent to a major in accounting, i.e. at least 30 semester hours in accounting or 24 semester hours in accounting and 6 semester hours in related subjects as described above. OR
A Certificate as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) obtained through written examination in a State, territory or the District of Columbia. OR
Are currently serving as an Internal Revenue Agent GS-0512 and have been in this position for at least one year or was previously an Internal Revenue Agent GS-0512 and held the position for at least one year.
In addition to the above qualifications, you must possess the following professional accounting knowledges: Principles of Accounting, Intermediate Accounting, Cost Accounting, Advanced Accounting, and Auditing. For more information on the required accounting knowledges please refer to
GS-13 LEVEL: In addition to the basic requirements for this position, you must have 1 year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the grade 12 in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes: progressively responsible and diversified professional accounting or auditing experience in work that required all of the following: The application of professional accounting principles, theory, and practices to analyze and interpret accounting books, records, or systems specifically to determine their effect on Federal tax liabilities and their adequacy for recording transactions affecting tax liabilities; The interpretation and application of Federal tax law for individuals, business and/or exempt organizations, partnerships, and corporations; Applying knowledge of business and trade practices to develop tax issues based on analysis and evaluation of overall business operations and financial condition; Applying knowledge of corporate financial transactions and financial management principles and practices; AND Interacting effectively with a broad range of individuals and negotiating with specialists in accounting, legal, tax, and other similar business related professions.
In addition, your experience must demonstrate the ability to use analytical and evaluative techniques and understanding of the administration of programs sufficient to participate in the assessment of program development, determine appropriate evaluation and measurement techniques, identify significant program or resource issues, and improve management processes and systems; Extensive knowledge of the Small Business Self Employed operating division's organization, policies, practices, and program objectives sufficient to participate in the development of guidance, assessment of resource utilization, and development and implementation of changes to current processes and procedures.
* The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private or VolunteerService. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-work is considered on a prorated basis.
* To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
In addition to the above requirements, you must meet the following, if applicable:
You must have been at the GS-12 level for 52 weeks (time-in-grade requirement).