To assist and collaborate with the dentist in the delivery of dental care using aseptic techniques and following standards of infection control The Dental Assistant I is described as minimum experience, or entry level position, usually presenting with 1 year or less of dental assisting experience , The dental assistant position involves four-handed dentistry, instrument and material knowledge and application, radiographic placement and exposure, infection control standards and applications, handpiece and instrument maintenance, equipment maintenance, sterilization procedures, laboratory procedures, and office duties. As part of the team-based approach to care, the Dental Assistant I will participate in coordinating care for individual patients; will support patients and families in self-management, through evidence-based approaches as may be appropriate; will engage in health center projects that are aimed at specific patient population needs; and will utilize effective and appropriate communication strategies, such as health literacy approaches when working with patients.
- Verifies patient markers to determine that the correct patient is present for the dental appointment/procedure.
- Adequately exposes and processes radiographs, insuring diagnostic quality.
- Adequately prepares the dental treatment room prior to each procedure, with full compliance in infection control protocols and guidelines.
- Processes instruments, including disinfection, sterilization, and monitoring of sterilization dates. Maintains proper care of dental equipment according to manufacturer s guidelines, and performs maintenance according to schedules set up by the Dental Department.
- Conducts spore testing and documents to insure proper autoclave function and sterilization of instruments.
- Maintains the log/schedule for dental office equipment maintenance according to the protocols set up in the Dental Department, and participates in the timely maintenance of this equipment on a daily, weekly, or biweekly schedule depending on the parameters set up by the department.
- Demonstrates competency in four handed dentistry.
- Demonstrates competency in dental instrument and dental material selection and usage.
- Maintains inventory supply control, tracking supply usage and recording low levels of supplies, and communicating this inventory with the Purchasing Coordinator.
- Maintains confidentiality with patient information, complying with Health Center policies, HIPPA regulations, and Joint Commission standards.
- Ensures proper documentation, including, but not limited to, consents and medical histories, is presented to the patient by procedure and subsequently processes these documents by scanning them into the dental record.
- Records vital signs on all first time visits and before other procedures outlined by the Dental Department.
- Demonstrates competency in performing minor laboratory procedures such as taking initial impressions and pouring up stone models.
- Responsible for tracking lab cases; inputting departure and arrival dates, and logging other pertinent information that supports compliance to department protocols.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma
- MA state dental assistant license
- Has updated documentation and certification for:
- Radiology certificate
- OSHA/Infection control training
- Has met all continuing education requirements for dental licensure.
Education and Experience:
Associated topics: condition, diagnosis, evaluations, hygienist, hygienst, polishing, prn, processing, rda, rdh
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...