Director of Student Services
Reports To: Campus President
Summary: Coordinates, manages and supervises activities of Student Services personnel who are engaged in the process of assisting and serving students.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assures compliance with laws, regulations, and standards at local and national level regarding student service practices and maintains current knowledge and practical application of the same.
- Leads retention efforts for the school and ensures retention budgets are achieved
- Formulates, develops and enforces student policies and procedures which foster and promote student learning and which support the educational program
- Manages the Ability to Benefit program and ensures all appropriate regulations and procedures are followed.
- Calculates, Tracks and Advises all students regarding Standards of Academic Process.
- Hire, train, conduct performance reviews, supervise and support all student services staff
- Develops and maintains programs for student assistance in areas relating to housing, academic and personal counseling, transportation, and other relevant coping skills
- Maintains accurate student attendance, academic and financial records; maintains records for audits
- Complete weekly and/or monthly reports as directed
- Identify potential problems and solutions through effective analysis of reports
- Other duties as assigned
- Directly supervises employees in the Student Services Department and carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Treats people with respect. Keeps commitments. Inspires the trust of others. Works with integrity and ethically. Upholds organizational values.
- Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally. Expresses ideas and thoughts in written form. Exhibits good listening and comprehension. Keeps others adequately informed. Selects and uses appropriate communication methods and language.
- Establishes and maintains effective relations. Exhibits tact and consideration. Displays positive outlook and pleasant manner. Offers assistance and support to co-workers. Works cooperatively in group situations. Works actively to resolve conflicts.
- Displays courtesy and sensitivity. Manages difficult or emotional customer situations. Meets commitments. Responds promptly to customer needs. Solicits customer feedback to improve service.
- Delegates work assignments. Matches the responsibility to the person. Gives authority to work independently. Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities. Provides recognition for results.
- Responds to requests for service and assistance. Follows instructions, responds to management direction. Takes responsibility for own actions. Commits to doing the best job possible. Keeps commitments. Meets attendance and punctuality.
- Competent in required job skills and knowledge. Exhibits the ability to learn and apply new skills. Keeps abreast of current developments. Requires minimal supervision. Displays an understanding of how job relates to others. Uses resources effectively.
- Displays willingness to make decisions. Exhibits sound and accurate judgment. Supports and explains the reasoning for decisions. Includes appropriate people in the decision-making process. Makes timely decisions.
- Provides direction and gains compliance. Includes subordinates in planning. Takes responsibility for subordinates' activities. Makes self available to subordinates. Provides regular performance feedback. Develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth.
- Prioritizes and plans work activities. Uses time efficiently. Plans for additional resources. Integrates changes smoothly. Sets goals and objectives. Works in an organized manner.
- Achieves sales goals. Overcomes objections with persuasion and persistence. Initiates new contacts. Maintains customer satisfaction. Maintains records and promptly submits information.
- Balances team and individual responsibilities. Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views. Gives and welcomes feedback. Contributes to building a positive team spirit. Puts success of team above own interests.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors degree from four-year college or university and a minimum of three years experience in a related field.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commission, proportions, and percentages. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra. Ability to use a calculator and/or ten-key.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, CampusVue, and Payroll.
Associated topics: assistant principal, assistant superintendent, chief, dean, executive manager, middle school principal, school principal, student, supervise, vice principal