In July 2017, South Texas Regional Medical Center becamepart of the Methodist Healthcare System family, the most preferred andrespected healthcare provider in the area. With this change of ownership, weare now known as Methodist Hospital South. Even though our name has changed,the heart of our hospital remains; it just got a little bigger. The foundationwe now stand on is faith-based and driven by our commitment to “ServingHumanity to Honor God”.
The clinical team at Methodist Hospital South is comprisedof healthcare professionals with years of training and experience who bringcompassion to their work. Our 67 bed hospital has been nationally recognized byLeapfrog’s Hospital Safety Grade A, designated as an accredited Chest PainCenter, and recognized by The Joint Commission as a Top Performer on KeyQuality Measures. Services include Rehabilitation, Surgical, and Labor &Delivery. For more information, please visit our website at www.methodisthospitalsouth.com.GeneralStatement of Duties:
The Echo/Cardiac Ultrasound Technician works under thedirection of the Non-Invasive Cardiology Manager or designee and demonstratesknowledge of non-invasive cardiac technology to perform physician-ordereddiagnostic cardiac exams. He/she performs echocardiograms (2-D, M-mode, colordoppler, pulsed wave doppler, and continuous wave doppler), TEEs (routine andCVOR), carotid imaging, tilt-table testing, and other related examinationsaccording to established Hospital standards and practices. Applies technicalknowledge of diagnostic non-invasive cardiac imaging equipment operation toinclude: Proficiency in basic troubleshooting, proper equipment cleaning,storage and maintenance of equipment. He/she accurately documents in accordancewith Hospital policies and standards. Communicates timely and appropriateinformation with necessary members of the patient care team.
1. Acquires asigned physician order with indicator for all exams. Demonstrates good judgmentin responding to STAT calls and appropriately prioritizes STAT orders. Ensurespatient consent is signed for the ordered procedure. Effectively communicatesand explains the procedure to the patient without discussing clinical findingsof the exam. Validates the patient and/or family understanding of theprocedure.
2. Ensures properequipment operation during patient exams. Demonstrates proficiency in basictroubleshooting, equipment cleaning, storage and preventative maintenance.
3.Demonstrates technical proficiency for echocardiograms:
A.Adult and pediatric (if applicable) echocardiograms: Performs 2-D, M-mode,color Doppler, pulsed wave Doppler, and continuous wave Doppler. This includesall measurements as needed for a complete study to include parasternal longaxis, parasternal short axis, apical 4-chamber, apical long axis, and apical2-chamber, and subcostal 4-chamber view, subcostal short axis, subcostal RVoutflow, abdominal aorta, suprasternal long axis of the aortic arch, and RVoutflow to evaluate the MPA and branch PAs. Applies critical thinking skills toassess the patient condition to provide any additional views that will assistthe cardiologist in the care/treatment of the patient.
B.Stress echo (exercise and chemical): Performs 2-D imaging at the highest levelfor the evaluation of wall motion abnormalities. Stress images will includeP-LAX, P-SAX, apical 4-chamber, and apical 2-chamber.
C.Demonstrates technical proficiency for TEEs. Set up of equipment and allsupplies. Assists cardiologist with probe insertion as directed. After probeplacement, tape all data as requested. Upon completion of procedure, candidatewill immediately clean and disinfect probe according to departmental policy.
4. Assists withhead up tilt table testing. Responsible for patient preparation to includevalidating the patient is NPO, patient transport, placement of electrodes,placement of blood pressure cuff and presence of a patent saline lock. Ifcontinuous monitoring is required, secures the use of EKG monitoring equipment.If labs are required, candidate will arrange for blood drawing. Candidate willremain with patient at all times and offer assistance under the direction of aRN.
5. Demonstratestechnical proficiency at carotid imaging. Ability to obtain images of the commoncarotid, bulb, internal and external carotids with color doppler and pulsedwave doppler. Provides measurements as necessary for a complete evaluation ofboth right and left carotids.
6. Maintains allpatient reports in accordance with Hospital policy. This includes but is notlimited to the following: pulling all previous reports/images; presentingimages to the correct reading physician; notifying reading physicians ofrequests; entering proper patient charges into Meditech; performing databaseand operating system backup; error log review; Hemodynamic Monitoring systemdata field modification; and proper storage of archived exam/study data.
MinimumEducation, Experience, Training, Required Knowledge, Skill, Abilities and OtherJob-Related Characteristics:
1. Educationand experience:
Candidates mustbe registry eligible for RDCS/RDMS-FE from ARDMS or RCS from CCI.
Effective01/01/2013 new hires must meet ONE of the following registry eligibleprovisions:
A.Completion of an Associate’s Degree/two year patient-care related allied healtheducation program (diagnostic medical sonographer, radiologic technologist,respiratory therapist, occupational therapist, physical therapist, RN program) AND one (1) year full-time clinical ultrasound/vascular ultrasound experience.(ARDMS and RCS eligibility)
B.Graduate of a CAAHEP accredited diagnostic medical sonography, diagnosticcardiac sonography or vascular technology program. (RCS and ARDMS eligibility)
C.Bachelor’s degree (or foreign equivalent) AND six (6) months offull-time clinical ultrasound/vascular experience. (RCS eligibility)
D.Bachelor’s degree in sonography or vascular technology (or foreign equivalent).(ARDMS eligibility).
E.Current Registered Cardiac Sonographer (RCS), Registered Congenital CardiacSonographer (RCCS) or Registered Vascular Specialist (RVS) throughCardiovascular Credentialing International. (ARDMS eligibility)
F.High school graduate/G.E.D. AND two (2) years full-time on-the-jobexperience in cardiac or vascular ultrasound. (RCS eligibility)
G. Graduate of anon-accredited program in Cardiac Medical Sonography that includes a minimum ofone (1) year of specialty training (to include 800 clinical hours). (RCSeligibility)
2. Employeecompletes initial and ongoing training and competencies as defined by serviceline, facility and department/unit which are specific to the needs of thepatient population served (if applicable).
MinimumLicense, Certificates, or Registrations Required :
I.New hires as of 02/01/2013 require ONE of the following:
II. Currentecho/cardiac ultrasound technicians (hired on/before 01/31/2013) have untilAugust 1, 2013 to obtain one of the following:
A.American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS) in ONE ofthe following:
i. RegisteredDiagnostic Cardiac Sonographer (RDCS) for the patient population served: Adult(RDCS-AE), Fetal (RDCS-FE), and/or Pediatric (RDCS-PE) OR
ii. RegisteredDiagnostic Medical Sonographer in Fetal Echocardiography (RDMS-FE)
B. RegisteredCardiac Sonographer (RCS) from Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI)
DescriptionKindred RehabilitationServices is the largest diversified provider of rehabilitation therapy in the country. Through RehabCare and Kindred…Read More