Nurse Practitioner, Urology
Center for Advanced Practice Nursing
Monday-Friday (day shift) - no call
The Nurse Practitioner (NP) is an advanced practice nurse with training in both the nursing model and medical model of care. Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS) NPs are committed to personalized, high-quality healthcare and are held to the same legal and ethical standards of care as physicians and surgeons. Autonomously and in collaboration with healthcare professionals and other individuals, the NP provides a full range of primary, acute, and specialty healthcare services, including:
* Diagnosing and treating acute and chronic conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, infections, and injuries
* Ordering, performing and interpreting diagnostic tests such as lab work and x-rays
* Prescribing medications and other treatments
* Managing patients' overall care
* Educating patients on disease prevention and positive health and lifestyle choices
HSS NPs serve pediatric and adult patients in an extensive range of practice settings throughout the hospital and its local and regional ambulatory sites. Their specialty and subspecialty areas include: Adult Reconstruction and Joint Replacement (ARJR), Anesthesia (PACU/OSCU/SDU), Anticoagulation, Cardiology, Diabetes Care, Intensive Care, Metabolic Bone, Occupational Health, Pain Management, Pediatric Orthopedics, Post-Operative Care, Radiology, Spine, Trauma, Urology, Wound Care, and private practice (physician and surgeon offices).
The urology nurse practitioner diagnoses, treats, and manages urological issues. The NP supports the pre-surgical screening, inpatient hospitalization, and post-operative care settings.
The Urology NP role:
* Provides clinical consultation, assessment, and expertise of urological issues during pre-surgical assessment & clearance
* Perform procedures such as Foley catheter placement, voiding trials, and urodynamic testing.
* Manages patients with post-op urinary retention
* Provides instruction on proper urinary catheter insertion and removal
* Identifies contributing factors to urinary medical issues and suggests environmental modifications
* Educates the patient, the patient's family, and any other support persons on care techniques
* Educates clinical staff-physicians & surgeons (MDs), physician assistants (PAs), nurse practitioners (NPs), registered nurses (RNs), etc.-on urological complication prevention, and identification and treatment of urological issues;
* Creates best practice for Foley use
* Increases the socialization of the IPSS Score throughout the hospital and creates recommendations for patients with a high IPSS score during Pre-Surgical Screening
* Staff Meetings
* Unit-Based Training; In-services
* RN Orientation
* Review of urology-related policies, protocols, and guidelines
* Ensures proper urological equipment and supplies
* Coordinates with Infectious Disease Team to decrease CAUTI occurrence rates
* Participates in inpatient & perioperative urological committees and RN CAUTI champions
* Liaises with New York Hospital's Urology Service as needed
This NP position is based at the main hospital in the Upper East Side of Manhattan (New York, NY). This is a full time position, working eight (8) hour days (five per week).This position requires a motivated NP who is able to function autonomously within established practice protocols and a collaborative agreement.
* master's or doctoral degree from an accredited school of nursing
* licensure as an NP and RN in the state of NY
* board certification as an NP; advanced training or certification as a urology NP preferred
* CPR certification: BLS
* three (3)+ years of related experience as an NP in both inpatient and outpatient settings; experience in urologic care and orthopedics preferred
* experience with an EMR (preferably Epic)
All NPs are supported by the HSS Center for Advanced Practice Nursing. The Center is dedicated to promoting and cultivating the role of the advanced practice provider (APP) within HSS as well as among the medical community in New York City and nationally. The Center develops policy and processes, provides resources, and guides the utilization and management of all advanced practice nurses-NPs and CRNAs-practicing throughout the hospital and at its local and regional sites.
Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS) offers a unique work environment, diverse job types and extraordinary career opportunities. HSS encourages and supports professional growth and development, recognizes individual contributions, and offers unique and highly competitive compensation packages. This is how we attract and retain highly skilled professionals, renowned for their leadership and vision in clinical care, teaching, research & development.
Founded in 1863, HSS is a world leader in orthopedics, rheumatology, and rehabilitation. In the most recent U.S. News & World Report \"American's Best Hospitals\" issue, HSS ranks #1 in orthopedics and #3 in rheumatology. In addition, the American Nurses Credentialing Center has honored HSS with four consecutive designations of Magnet?? recognition. HSS has one of the lowest infection rates in the country.
Associated topics: bsn, clinical nurse, cns, family, np, prac, practice, rnp, spanish, splst