The Howard Hughes name is synonymous with an unrelenting passion for excellence. While his achievements in aviation and the silver screen are legendary, it was his investments in real estate that form the foundation of our company. With passion, determination and limitless imagination, he built one of the great American empires of the 20th century. At Howard Hughes, we live by our purpose to help people discover new ways of experiencing life - because it's not just buildings and places that matter, it's what you do with them that can change the way people live.
We aspire to be the most creatively driven real estate company in the world and we believe in fostering a culture that is built to last by cultivating curiosity and empowering every employee to find their story in this great organization.
Under the supervision of the Senior Vice President, Design & Construction Management, the Assistant/Project Manager provides leadership and oversight for the day-to-day operations for Project Management and Administration activities associated with the development of the assigned project. The Project Manager must be able to perform hands-on management of project planning, design and construction in a fast-paced environment. The Project Manager is required to demonstrate the ability to prioritize multiple tasks and demands, as well as assist the Director or Sr. Director, Design & Construction Management, in supervising a highly skilled team of construction managers, design professionals and consultants. Responsibilities further consist of managing various sizes and volumes of projects from preconstruction planning through build out and space occupancy phases, including project closeout with financial reconciliation.
The Assistant/Project Manager must also have experience in large scale, ground-up development and construction projects from inception through construction and final move-in. A minimum of 3 to 5 years' experience managing ground-up projects on the CM or Owners' side is required. He/she must have executive leadership ability to work across the entire company to facilitate cross-functional coordination.
This individual will serve as the secondary stakeholder for each assigned project and a point of contact for coordinating Design & Construction responsibilities with third party consultants, contractors, vendors and government agencies. This individual will act as a liaison between internal cross-functional technical teams and Corporate Leadership. In addition to managing the day-to-day operations of the project, the Assistant/Project Manager is responsible for assisting in overseeing and maintaining project cost analysis, budget, and construction schedules with forecasting and analysis of issues that may impact the department's goals and objectives.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
Pre-Construction Phase ? Assisting Director or Sr. Director:
* Review, analyze and challenge CM's preliminary construction budgets and schedules.
* Participate in all project consultation meetings.
* Create RFPs for consultant and/or sub-consultant selection and negotiate the scope and business terms of the agreement.
* Work with the design team to achieve timely completion of coordinated documents while meeting the respective design milestone parameters for each stage of the design.
* Review all phases of Construction Documents (\"CDs\") for completeness, compliance and design milestone requirements and constructability assumptions.
* Evaluate CM, subcontractor and/or third party construction cost estimates.
* Assist in tracking LEED Certification requirements.
* Evaluate and manage procurement of long lead items in accordance with the CM schedule.
* Review CM's site logistics and overall construction sequencing and planning in regard to cost, schedule, regulatory and safety factors (in order to identify and mitigate adverse impact on the site and surrounding uses).
* Write monthly construction status reports to be used by the SVP and VP of Construction for executive reporting purposes. Work closely with the Legal team to initiate and manage all CM and design consultant agreements.
Construction Phase ? Assisting Director or Sr. Director:
* Work with the CM, design consultants and trade subcontractors to finalize unresolved design issues.
* Review, analyze and challenge CM's detailed construction budgets and schedules, as needed.
* Review CM's site logistics and overall construction sequencing and planning in regard to cost and schedule.
* Manage the selection and procurement of necessary third party consultant services for surveying, special inspections, materials and/or soils testing, etc. Assist in negotiating the terms and conditions of all resulting agreements, and assemble contracts with the Legal team, as required.
* Attend and document all owner, architect and/or contractor meetings.
* Establish and maintain comprehensive systems for construction document control. Establish project tracking logs ? including those required for RFIs, ASIs, CCDs, design clarifications, material submittals, change orders, Certificates of Insurance, etc. Ensure timely processing and response for all time sensitive project documentation.
* Monitor, and where necessary, assist in the coordination of on-site activity ? including but not limited to: demolition, utilities installation, general site work, temporary installations and power, vertical construction, exterior and interior renovations and finish work, telecom and/or data coordination, MEP and technology systems commissioning, FF&E installation and punch list corrections.
* Monitor progress relative to the CM's CPM Project Schedule. Review monthly updates to ensure coherent sequencing and logic, as well as compliance with contractual milestone requirements. Where necessary, obtain recovery schedules ? including sequence and logic modifications to address areas of critical path impact. Proactively identify and mitigate areas of potential owner, CM, and/or subcontractor caused impact.
* Schedule and coordinate all third party inspections required for the Project.
* Closely monitor CM's QC/QA programs to ensure that execution of the Work is in compliance with Project quality standards, as well as regulatory and contract requirements. On Residential projects, work with the CM to ensure completion of an early model unit in the Sales Center and as otherwise needed to establish Project quality standards. Walk project site on a regular basis observing installation of all trades and finishes.
* Review and make payment recommendations on all consultant and CM payment applications and/or invoices. Periodically update cash flow projections based on actual construction progress.
* Review CM change order requests for both entitlement and pricing. Assist in negotiating final CO amounts.
* Construct and maintain a Budget Status Report, therein tracking the status of all contracts and P.O.'s ? including committed and JTD costs. This report will include bridges establishing an audit trail from the original Development Budget to any subsequent budget update through closeout.
* Monitor and update the Project FF&E budget. Coordinate procurement, consolidation, shipment, delivery and installation of Project FF&E.
* Assemble Monthly Project Reports for the Project, including the following components:
* Executive Summary
* Budget Status and/or Forecast
* Investment and Contingency Bridges
* Opportunities and Risks Summary
* Project Schedule Status
* Construction Progress Photos
* Review and monitor RFI submissions, and ensure prompt consultant turnaround of responses.
* Review and manage CM submittals to ensure compliance with plans, specifications and overall contract requirements. Review of proposed substitutions and/or value engineering to ensure that the implementation of such proposals does not adversely affect the Project's quality standards.
* Manage required Operations staff training, systems commissioning and turnover of the Property to Operations. Manage the closeout of the Project ? including final resolution of all punch list work, finalize outstanding contract change orders, obtain final lien release, review O&M/warranty documentation with Operations group and process disbursement of retained funds.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
* Bachelor degree in Construction Management, Architecture and/or Engineering is preferred.
* Must have minimum 3 to 5 years of construction project management experience.
* Must have experience in large scale, mixed-use and/or residential high-rise construction projects.
* Must have excellent interpersonal skills and experience in managing a team of technical staff.
* Must be proficient in understanding design development, construction documents and MEP engineering specifications.
* Capable of managing from a simple interior improvements and/or renovation job, through multi-million dollar complex construction projects.
* Must have in-depth understanding and knowledge of industry standard construction process ? including scheduling, standard cost estimating tools, building materials, construction methodologies, and Agency approvals in New York City.
* Must have the ability to work in a team environment while leading the Project team from conceptual design through completion of multiple projects.
Associated topics: chief program officer, cpo, manage, manager, management, monitor, product manager, project manager, relationship manager, task