iMentor builds mentoring relationships that empower students in low-income communities to graduate high school, succeed in college, and achieve their ambitions. Students work with their mentors one-on-one, in-person and online, to develop strong personal relationships, nurture a college aspiration, navigate the college application process, and build critical skills that lead to college success. In New York City, Chicago, and the Bay Area, iMentor partners with public schools to ensure every student in the schools receives a mentor. iMentor also provides its curriculum, technology, and best practices to help nonprofits run effective programs in the iMentor model.
This year, iMentor NYC will serve over 3,800 mentor-mentee pairs at 15 public high schools throughout Manhattan, Brooklyn and the Bronx, where a majority of students served will be first-generation college graduates. Since 1999, iMentor has connected more than 25,000 students with mentors and this year, iMentor is serving nearly 9,000 students across the country. iMentor has been recognized through funding from many of the leading education funders in the country, including the Ballmer Group, the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation, the Robin Hood Foundation, the Bezos Family Foundation, New Profit Inc., and the Kresge Foundation. iMentor is one of the nation's most innovative and quickly growing college success organizations. As a team, we are collaborative, fun, bring passion and joy to our work, and deeply believe in human potential. iMentor was recently named one of the Best Nonprofits to Work For by The Nonprofit Times. Read more about our work and values at:
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
We believe that people of all backgrounds deserve equal access to educational opportunities. Recognizing that our country's history of racism and systemic oppression continues to drive educational disparities for students of color, we give special focus to addressing the economic and racial divides that impact the communities we serve. We are committed to the collective work and intentional investment necessary to consistently move in the direction of educational equity and inclusion.
The Special Assistant (SA), iMentor NYC provides a range of supports to the iMentor New York City Executive Director (ED) and the NYC region, including administrative support and assistance to iMentor NYC teams in the areas of fundraising, volunteer management, partnerships and program operations. As an ambassador of iMentor and the Executive Director of iMentor NYC, the Special Assistant works with a diverse group of iMentor's constituents and plays a key role in enabling iMentor's NYC Team to move more efficiently and effectively toward reaching its goals.
The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated, organized, and meticulous individual who is adept at relationship building and communicating in a concise, warm, and direct way across audiences. The New York City team is comprised of its direct-service program staff, volunteer recruitment, school partnerships, and program operations. This is an exciting opportunity to see how these teams function at a high-impact nonprofit, to learn about strategy development, and to gain insight into the landscape of education reform and college success. The SA will work collaboratively with all members of iMentor's senior leadership team and report to the Executive Director.
* Maintain the ED's complex schedule including day-to-day and long-term management of meetings, projects, travel and priorities
* Serve as an ambassador for iMentor, creating an excellent first impression of the organization as the first point of contact for a wide variety of high-level relationships between ED and outside contacts
* Ensure ED is prepared for upcoming meetings through regular check-ins, gathering materials necessary for each meeting, and developing agendas as needed and allocating time to accomplish necessary tasks and desk work
* Take on additional research and projects as determined by ED
* Organize invoices; track and submit monthly credit card expenses to the Finance department
* Work closely with the development team and mentor community team to collaborate on opportunities for the ED and NYC Region
* Participate in employee experience initiatives on behalf of ED
* Support iMentor organization-wide initiatives, requiring occasional evening and/or weekend events
* 0-3 years of office experience; must be excited about working in a dynamic and fast-paced nonprofit environment
* Extremely well organized, detail oriented and proactive
* High level of professionalism and strong verbal and written communication including experience creating written content for internal audiences, external stakeholders, nonprofit board members, or donors
* Able to build strong relationships across teams and levels of seniority
* Strong research skills
* Proven organization and time management skills to complete a high volume of varied responsibilities in a fast-paced setting and deadline-driven environment
* Understanding of and passion for issues around access and equity in education
* Self-directed and able to work independently; resourceful, strategic problem-solving ability with a positive attitude 'can-do' approach
* Flexible and adaptable; open to change, learning, and improvement
* Demonstrated alignment with iMentor's mission, values, and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
* Views differences between individuals (race, gender, age, cultural heritage, physical ability, education, beliefs, and lifestyle) as an asset and demonstrates an appreciation of the diversity across the iMentor community.
* Bachelor's degree preferred
* Our organization works in partnership with district public schools across the country. In doing so we must meet all compliance requirements of those districts.
Compensation & Benefits
* Salary commensurate with experience
* Up to 100% employer funded comprehensive medical and dental coverage
* 18 days paid annual vacation and 13 paid holidays, and most iMentor functions closed between Christmas and New Year's Day
* 401K match up to 4%
* Significant opportunities for professional development and growth
How to Apply
Visit www.imentor.org/jobs to submit a resume and detailed cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for this position. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, so we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. Sorry, due to the high-volume of applicants for this and other positions here at iMentor, no phone, email, mail, or fax inquiries will receive a response.
iMentor is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Apply for this job