The Associate Merchandise Planner is responsible for driving sales, margin, turn and growth across both channels for a defined area within the Merchandise Planner's total area of responsibility. This position will support the Merchandise Planner in developing and executing a strategic vision, with a progressive, customer-centric approach all while delivering on sales and profit objectives. This role requires the ability to leverage technical expertise to identify opportunities, develop assortment plans, and implement allocation strategies. A fundamental requirement is to be able to build trust with their teams and key collaborators. Perform other duties as assigned.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
The Associate Merchandise Planner will be known as a trusted, collaborative and results-oriented leader, business partner and change agent who can lead through influence and who possesses professional maturity and industry credibility. The ideal candidate needs to be comfortable and effective at delivering financial results that maximize sales, inventory, and bottom line profitability. Candidates must be comfortable with quickly evaluating and sun-setting legacy approaches that no longer align to the strategy. The ideal candidate will be known for both vision and an equally strong orientation for speed.
The successful candidate will:
* Make \"company first\" decisions. * Ability to influence partners. * Actively influence market to drive business. * Develop self by participating in ongoing professional development and training. * Seek out innovative solutions to existing customer or Company challenges. * Communicate with candor and value open debate to ensure the best ideas come to life.
* Provide input to Financial Planning for financial reviews of Private Brands and vendors to gain alignment on sales, margin, and turnover targets. * Partner with Buyer to create SAS (Assortment/Sourcing Strategy) to review with Private Brands Product team prior to strategy discussions with management. * Align Financial Planning calendar with Private Brands calendar to support development. * Partner with the Merchant teams to gain alignment on sales, margin, and turnover targets. * Complete market buys and communicate SKU plans to buying counterparts to drive assortment decisions in market.
Assortment Vision and Strategy
* Focus on business strategy to determine specific category and product behaviors to build foundation for Allocation strategies. * Collaborate with Merchants to ensure channel plans support top line strategic and financial objectives. * Identify fulfillment strategies to optimize inventory between both channels. * Identify white space opportunities, assortment optimization initiatives, and growth opportunities. * Identify historical core assortment and partner with Product and Buying teams to protect and forecast future core.
* Work with Merchants and Vendors to develop assortment plans that support channel needs and leverage opportunities. * Responsible for maximizing sales and profit through proper planning and execution of merchandise placement. * Recommend and execute assortment edits. * Develop SKU/Class Plans by channel. * Identify replenishment assortment. * Ensure team is adhering to calendar deadlines for class plans and style/sku plans to align assortment, placement and order entry, and assortment allocation. * Responsible for maximizing sales and profit through proper planning and execution of merchandise placement. * Understand and utilize retail math formulas to analyze sales and determine appropriate allocations.
In-Season Assortment Management and Allocation
* Adjust assortment plans by channel as trends evolve within season, determining changes to breadth and depth. * Analyze in-season product performance, focused on channel demand; class/category performance, style performance, and major marketing performance. * Assess and determine forecast changes that may impact inventory. * Monitor and drive in-season financial performance by channel. * Provide strategic guidance to vendors on channel performance and assortment needs to influence assortment plans and line development in-season. * Provide recommendations for reorder allocations. Execute reorder allocation where necessary. * Set allocation parameters and run allocation in system (A3). * Analyze assortment effectiveness by channel and react to business opportunities. * Make all assortment planning decisions independently of Merchandise Planner that satisfies the customer demand and achieves sales, turn and margin plan. * Understands competitive marketplace and pursues white space opportunities that align with North Star Strategy. * Support Merchandise Planner to drive in season business effectively through influence of assortment planning and allocation strategies. * Regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
* Bachelor's Degree (Business, Finance or equivalent). * Ideally, 2-plus years of experience in retail, catalogue or ecommerce buying or planning.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to influence.
* Able to develop, plan, present and execute strategies. * Competitive shop and determine action necessary to address competitive challenges. Identify any product opportunities and provide suggestions and input in product development to vendor. * Openly accepts and seeks constructive direction for development from supervisor and leadership.
* Assist in the development and coaching of Assistant Merchants and EDPs. * Inspires, motivates, and influences the behavior of others to drive high performance. * Engages team to examine current practices and encourages creative thinking about how things could be more effective and efficient. * Asserts own ideas and persuades others in a clear, confident, and composed manner. Tailors message for the audience and is able to gain support and commitment from others. * Comfortable with taking risks and celebrating risk taking regardless of outcome. * Collaborative, consultative style with a strong ability to establish trust and build relationships across all levels and functions of the organization. * Resilient, tenacious, high energy. Able to rapidly bounce back from adversity. * Embraces change with realistic optimism and persists through challenges and setbacks caused by change.
* Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and store/company needs.
This job description is not all inclusive. Macy's Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy's Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.