Senior Underwriter - Excess & Umbrella (NYC or Boston)
Financial Services - Insurance
21 Warren St
Check out similar listings!
Loading some great jobs for you...
What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from you.
Underwrite complex retail excess and umbrella business for the Northeast Region to include reviewing, analyzing, accepting, and declining risks to ensure profitability for Markel. Communicate with regional managers and national excess and umbrella product line leaders on individual accounts, current and proposed producers, and make recommendations concerning operations, systems and procedures when appropriate. Underwrite and select new business that will produce an underwriting profit. Review submissions and identify exposure and risk from information provided. Review terms, conditions and pricing. Underwrite renewal business and handle related servicing. Implement corrective measures on renewal accounts as needed. Provide training or technical assistance to department underwriting staff. Monitor producers for profitability and production.
* Minimum 3 years current complex retail excess and umbrella underwriting expertise in the Northeast Region of the US.
* Demonstrated technical knowledge and skills reflective of progression of positions of increasing responsibility.
* Experience in the retail channel with a \"following\" of producers.
* Demonstrated marketing and relationship building skills.
* Four year college degree required.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills.
* Strong analytical and organizational skills.
* Must be a team player that enjoys a flexible and spontaneous business environment.
* Up to 25% travel in the Northeast US.
\"Why work for us?\"
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing people's differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation. We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the Markel Style?some of our best ideas start from a conversation between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further success to Markel.
Associated topics: underwriter
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.