We started MedMen with a simple vision; cannabis as a consumer product. It is a simple idea with profound consequences for how marijuana is cultivated, produced and marketed. Quality standards matter, best practices matter, brand reputation matters. Today, MedMen is the most dominant cannabis enterprise in the emerging legal marijuana industry.
MedMen is the first turnkey marijuana corporation of its kind and is transforming the way people experience and perceive this previously underground multi-billion-dollar cannabis/wellness industry. At MedMen you'll be inspired, challenged and humbled working with insanely smart and passionate people.
The leaders of public/government affairs will oversee the political, policy and government relations related objectives and strategy across a designated region of the United States for MedMen. The regions are West Coast, Midwest, Southeast, Northeast. This position will develop the public relations and government affairs strategy for the designated region. The candidate should be thoughtful, driven, results-oriented. Their overarching goal is to elect pro-cannabis champions at the local and state levels of government. Additionally, they will ensure best practices across jurisdictions, will build relationships with elected officials, manage consultants and lobbyists, and ensure the political, policy and community engagement campaigns of the region are aligned with MedMen's national objectives and business model. They will report to the SVP, Public Affairs, and will work closely with the Real Estate team to identify new opportunities for MedMen to enter based on advantageous political environments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
* Lead, develop and inspire a high commitment, high performing Political Affairs operation
* Review performance and results of each team member or contractor
* Define, propose, negotiate, secure and manage the budgetary resources necessary to sustain and direct the regional operation
* Develop and engage effective, trusted working relationships with team members, elected, appointed and career government officials that will enable effective advocacy of the company's political vision
* Work in close collaboration with other MedMen leaders
* Identify and evaluate potential external specialists and consultants to deliver defined policy objectives
* Political Affairs
* Responsible for crafting the region's political strategy at the local and state level
* Write and implement campaign plans
* Elect pro-cannabis champions at local and state levels of government
* Builds relationships with other campaign PACs to leverage resources, knowledge
* Specialize in creating long-term, sustainable giving strategies at local and state levels
* Proactively determine when company needs to pivot or adjust priorities
* Ensure effective campaign management and performance monitoring with high attention to detail
* Oversee fundraising and mobilization of external stakeholders at grassroots and grass tops levels
* Oversee, plan, manage fundraising events as necessary
* Responsible for gathering, interpreting and making recommendations on regulations and statutes at local, state level in concert with the VP, Compliance
* Provide Compliance and Legal team updates on changing regulations and policies
* Compliance and Legal are responsible for implementing internal changes
* Ability to assess and drive consensus on legislative and regulatory priorities when internal stakeholders may differ
* Monitor and evaluate proposed legislation and regulations, while identifying public policy issues, assessing the impact on the Company and stakeholders, and developing recommendations and recommended solutions.
* Write company's policy priorities, in consultation with the SVP, Public Affairs
* Create company strategy for achieving priorities at state and local levels
* Proactively determine when company needs to pivot or adjust priorities
* Prepare legislative analysis
* Write memos of support/opposition to proposed legislation
* Present testimony on regulations and legislation
* Provide insightful analysis on pending policy matters and build alternative substantive proposals to advance the Company's interest and competitive positions, including building support form external organizations, policymakers and government agencies.
* Serve as subject matter expert
* Lobbying, Research
* Manage top tier consultants for political campaigns
* Develop, manage and leverage strong relationships with key politicians, legislators and regulators at state and local levels. Increase MedMen presence at state and local level among politicians in concert with VP, Public Affairs
* Strategize and manage budget for consultants and political donations in conjunction with SVP
* Track political races at all levels of government
* Establish and maintain contact with external political campaigns
* Internal Communication
* Meet regularly with Department heads to understand political problems or pressures ? Marketing, Ops, Retail, Cultivation, Manufacturing, Finance, Investment, Legal
* Look for new investment opportunities throughout the state from a political perspective.
* External Communication
* Collaborate with Marketing on developing content and talking points for meetings with stakeholders
* Serve as point of contact with state and local agencies, city councils, advocacy organizations, in concert with the VP, Compliance.
* Serve as point of contact with political relationships and contacts
* Present CUP applications, with Real Estate team, in front of Planning Commission and City Councils
* Community Building
* Attend city, state events as Company representative
* Attend and speak at pertinent hearings, panels
* Create proactive community engagement campaigns in all new jurisdictions
* Management, Leadership
* Strategy, Business Acumen
* Critical Evaluation and Thinking
* Relationship Management
* Data and Research Driven
* Political Campaign Experience
* Budgeting, Money Management
* Legislative, Policy, Political and Campaign Expertise
This position may manage employees of the Public Affairs regional department and may be responsible for the performance management and hiring of the employees within that department alongside the HR department.
Required Education and Experience
* Master's degree or equivalent preferred
* 5-10 years' experience in political campaign experience
* 5-10 years' experience in policy, political or regulatory environments
* 5-10 years of strategic Independent Expenditure Campaign experience
* Experience establishing and managing a political action committee or independent expenditure campaign
* Experience with online, digital and direct mail advertising and fundraising
* Track record of effective and respected leadership of people and teams
* Strong understanding of and experience with effective public policy, political advocacy, public affairs programs, campaign management concepts
* Ability to build strong partnerships across all areas of the organization and levels
* Press and media strategy for political and policy campaigns
Work Authorization/Security Clearance
This position does not approve visa requirements, H1-B sponsorship, special clearances, etc.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Associated topics: foreign affairs, government, legislative, policy, political science, politics, public affairs, rights
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.