At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we're not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we're driving excellence and improving outcomes. For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker's Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor's Employees' Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We're treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The bi-institutional Husbandry and Operations provides monitoring and humane care for all animals housed within Memorial Sloan Kettering and Weill Cornell Medical College vivaria 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
This section is comprised of over 150 Animal Care Technicians, Facility Supervisors and Managers caring for upwards of 250,000 animals. Many techs are certified at various levels of competence by the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science, an association of professionals that advances responsible animal care and used to benefit people and animals. These certifications demonstrate a deep understanding of the knowledge and required skillset in this field. Our goal is to deliver the highest quality care, to the animals in our charge, in order to improve research and animal management at MSKCC and WCMC.
We are seeking an Animal Care Tech Lead at the facility, you will assist in the supervision and training of new techs. Also, under minimal supervision you will perform the duties related to laboratory animal care and facility operations as well as assume select responsibilities of the Facility Managers in their absence.
* Ensure cages are sanitized and crafted by policy.
* Process dirty equipment in preparation for sanitization in cage washing equipment.
* Sanitize caging and related equipment with sterilizers.
* Wash using pressure washers as necessary.
* Craft caging for use by staff
* Prepares acidified water bottles using an automated bottle filler and proportioner.
* Assist in performing routine maintenance procedures and making adjustments on this equipment; assesses the condition of caging and equipment and makes notes on replacement or repair; and monitors, inspects, troubleshoots, and requests maintenance on cage washing equipment and sterilizers.
* Assist other Lead positions in the maintenance of specialized animal caging systems and assumes responsibilities in the absence of other leads as assigned.
* Provide husbandry to all animal species in conventional and specialized animal-holding rooms/suites maintained at MSKCC.
* Perform various administrative duties including assisting with employee training, performance evaluations, and work schedule development for RARC animal care staff; places work orders: and, maintains records as directed.
* Provides guidance and training when needed.
* Maintain supplies and equipment. Makes recommendations for equipment purchases, performs equipment and supply inventory, and orders feed, bedding and other supplies as assigned.
* When assigned, performs census scans, which includes entering the census in a database and reviewing census reports for accuracy.
* Follows up on non-compliant cages identified in EnCCoMPass, as required.
* Apprises management staff of daily work tasks and issues.
ALAT certified with demonstrated proficiency and a minimum of 2 years of Animal Care experience.
LAT certified with demonstrated proficiency and a minimum of 1 year of Animal Care experience.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
Associated topics: animal care assistant, animal care attendant, assistant, vet assistant, vet attendant, vet technician, veterinary assistant, veterinary attendant, veterinary technician, technician