At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we're not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we're driving excellence and improving outcomes. For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker's Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor's Employees' Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We're treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
Are you passionate about playing a meaningful role in the fight to conquer cancer? Does the opportunity to work alongside clinicians who are internally and externally recognized as leaders in multiple fields interest you?
We are seeking a bright and committed individual to join our team of Surgical Support Assistants. In this position you will perform a variety of services including inventory of reusable/disposable sterile supplies and equipment, preparation of OR rooms before assigned cases to facilitate patient care in collaboration with the perioperative team.
* Someone who doesn't shy away from difficult situations or people, saying what needs to be said. * Able to operate effectively, even when things are not clear or the way forward is not obvious. * Dedicated and persistent in when faced with setbacks and skilled at finding detours around obstacles. * Able to hold yourself and others accountable in order to achieve goals and live up to commitments. * Focused on continuous improvement, knowing the most effective and efficient processes to optimize work flow. * A committed member of the team adept at building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives and goals.
* Room Preparation: Secures instruments, sterile supplies and special equipment, and sets up room for surgical procedures in assigned operating rooms. * Material/Equipment Delivery: Anticipate, select and deliver sterile equipment as needed, to include: sterile trays, disposable sterile products, sutures, ensure availability of sterile equipment, Communicates with CPD to ensure flow. * Supply/Stocking: Complete inventory request forms and places supplies in designated area to include, but not limited to: Sterile patient-care supplies, sterile general medical supplies, CPD supplies, Pharmacy products, sutures. Reports stock shortages to Supervisor and Supply Clerks. * Surgical Assistance: Assist during surgery in acquisition of supplies, sterilizing equipment and gowning procedures. Assists Nurses and Physicians with scrubs and sterilization clothing. Assists Surgical Tech in ensuring that instruments are appropriately placed on tray based on proper protocol. Will sterilize equipment as needed for surgery prior to and during surgical procedure. * Quality Improvement: Participate in the unit-based QI activity through participation in data collection of ancillary activity, problem identification and resolution, and group committee work, as assigned.
* High School diploma or equivalency required * At least 2 years experience as a Perioperative Assistant or Central Processing Tech * Excellent oral and written communication skills * Ability to operate patient care equipment * Ability to push, pull, lift and carry medium to heavy weights throughout the day, including equipment and patients * Ability to work with acutely ill patients and their families in crisis
HOURS (multiple shifts available):
* Fulltime hours: 12:00pm to 8:00pm, various shifts, Monday through Friday with weekend rotation. * Fulltime hours: 4:00pm to 12:00am, various shifts, Monday through Friday with weekend rotation.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
Associated topics: general surgery, laparoscopic, robotics, surg, surgeon, surgery, surgery physician
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.