Established by chef and founder David Chang in 2004 with the opening of Momofuku Noodle Bar, Momofuku has grown to include restaurants in New York City, Washington D.C., Sydney, Toronto, Las Vegas, and Los Angeles; a casual chicken spot (Fuku); and a bakery (Milk Bar), established by award-winning pastry chef Christina Tosi. The restaurants have gained world-wide recognition for their innovative take on cuisine, while supporting local, sustainable and responsible farmers and food purveyors.
About Ssam Bar
Momofuku Ssam Bar opened in New York City's East Village in 2006 and serves a constantly changing menu that draws inspiration from flavors and techniques found worldwide, while staying true to its New York roots. Executive Chef Max Ng and the Ssam Bar team create dishes that showcase seasonal products and highlight producers.
The Executive Sous Chef will assist in managing the kitchen and ensuring the flow of service is efficient and smooth. The Executive Sous will also have the opportunity to provide input on menu development as directed and approved by the Chef de Cuisine and/or Executive Chef. A key responsibility will be mentoring, training and disciplining staff (sous chefs, line cooks, prep cooks, etc.).
* Monitor and ensure that company standard kitchen operating procedures are met
* Manage all kitchen employees including training, mentoring, and disciplining
* Oversee and manage prep and line cook team to ensure all items and recipes are made to standard
* Enforce and train food and equipment safety and sanitation amongst all staff
* Oversee the line during service while monitoring cooks' progress and flow of service
* Oversee the flow of the kitchen and the flow of food to maintain service standards
* Ensure kitchen equipment is maintained and functions properly; report any facilities issues to the Executive Chef/CDC
* Monitor receiving to ensure all product meets restaurant standards
* In partnership with the Executive Chef and CDC, develop new menu items and ensure proper execution and roll out of any new additions
* Schedule staff; Assist and support CDC in payroll duties
* Send daily service reports, reservations logs, and HR related processes such as trail paperwork, worker's comp, and accident reports.
* Support Executive Chef and/or CDC with the inventory, purchasing, and receiving of products
* Manage inventory and costs set standards set forth by the Executive Chef
* Support staffing needs for BOH open positions; assist in the interviewing, selection, hiring and training of all BOH staff
Skills & Requirements
* 5+ years of related experience required
* High volume experience required
* Experience with back of house administrative and managerial duties a must
* Knowledgeable of techniques, methods, tools, and equipment used in preparing and cooking high quality food on a large scale
* Proven ability in teaching and mentoring kitchen employees
* Exceptional communication and supervisory skills
* Food Handler's Certification required
* Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
* Ability to demonstrate quick thinking and adaptability in a constantly changing environment
* Have interpersonal skills to deal effectively with all business contacts
* Work varied shifts, including weekends and holidays
* Able to effectively communicate in both written and oral forms
* Opening experience not required but a plus
* Performs all other related duties as requested
* The physical demands for this position are seeing, hearing, speaking, reaching, lifting up to 50 pounds, sitting, standing, for 5 to 10 hours, bending, and moving intermittently during working hours. These physical requirements may be accomplished with or without reasonable accommodations.
The duties of this position may change from time to time. Momofuku reserves the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of Momofuku or its managers. This job description is intended to describe the general level of work being performed. It is not intended to be all-inclusive.
What's in it for you?
We offer competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package, including vision/dental/medical, and gym and commuter discounts, plus more after required wait periods. We encourage our employees to grow and learn, and offer many opportunities for personal and career development.
Momofuku is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender (including gender identity or expression), pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual orientation, marital status, domestic violence, sexual violence or stalking victim status, ancestry, national origin, alienage or citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristic, or other protected status.
Associated topics: baker, chef, commercial, culinary, executive, head chef, pastry, sushi, tavern, team lead