The Mount Sinai Health System
Patient Engagement Coordinator
Mount Sinai is one of the largest non-profit health systems in the U.S. with a strong reputation for quality of care (18th ranked academic medical center) and research/education (22nd ranked medical school). Our health system has ~40,000 employees working together to provide billions of dollars in high-quality care for millions of patients each year.
We are accelerating a transition to a business model focused on population health management - our goal is to keep entire communities healthy and out of the hospital. Mount Sinai Health Partners (MSHP) is the team driving this transformation within Mount Sinai. The team includes 400 employees with clinical, contracting, finance, IT, analytics, operations, and product development expertise.
MSHP is a fast growing business unit within Mount Sinai and is looking for team members who:
* Are comfortable \"playing up\" and \"playing down\" as needed to accomplish business objectives
* Thrive in fast-paced work environments
* Seek to improve the status quo
Within MSHP, the Quality, Pharmacy, Value and Efficiency Team is an integral component of clinical operations led by the Deputy Chief Medical Officer. The team drives the implementation and ongoing improvement of initiatives that enable Mount Sinai to deliver better value to its patients, its customers (i.e., plan sponsors and payers), its providers, and its partners. At Mount Sinai, value is defined broadly and encompasses improved health outcomes, more efficient operations, better patient experience, more joyful care team environment, and improved financial performance.
MSHP seeks a Patient Engagement Coordinator.
The Patient Engagement Coordinator is responsible for engaging patients in care through a data-driven approach to prevention, chronic disease management and medication management. The Coordinator will work with primarily low-risk patients, but may interact with moderate risk patients, and will be supported by nursing and social work resources to ensure that patients are able to access the care they need. The Coordinator develops effective interpersonal relationships with patients and works collaboratively with the interdisciplinary care team as well as pharmacies and community-based resources to improve health outcomes.
The Patient Engagement Coordinator reports daily to the Senior Clinical Quality Analyst and weekly to the Director of Quality and Patient Engagement.
* Works to improve patients' experience before, during and following engagement with the health system to provide care continuity. Interacts with patients and caregivers as appropriate to ensure continuity of care, support adherence to care plans, and identify barriers that prevent adherence to care plans.
* Assists in closing care gaps through use of chronic disease and prevention registries by communicating with the patient and healthcare professionals.
* Follows the patient's progress, identifies potential concerns, and collaborates with care team members to overcome social, financial or medical barriers.
* Coaches patients, families, and/or authorized care givers on how to use existing skills and develop new ones to make lifestyle behavior changes that can positively affect patient's health. Engages them in the use of MyChart to facilitate electronic access of patient's health care information.
* Once a week, works outside of business hours (ex. 1pm-8pm), and once a month on Saturday (ex. 9am-1pm).
* Addresses medication adherence issues in coordination with internal care team members and the patient's pharmacy.
* Assists in medical record chart reviews for the purpose of quality audits, and assists in the collection of patient information for external providers, labs, and hospitals.
* Documents all patient encounters as appropriate in hospital documentation system and assists with the development of standardized reports on quality, utilization, processes and outcomes of care coordination.
* Educates patients regarding how to navigate throughout the health system.
* Where deemed needed, may spend time helping practices with clinical workflows and dissemination of best practices.
* Performs other duties as required.
* Bachelor's degree required, preferably in a health-related profession.
* Some experience in health care, patient navigation or related field preferred.
Additional Skills and Qualities
* Fluency in English; Fluency in Spanish, a plus
* Intermediate skills using Microsoft Office
* Facility with electronic medical record and scheduling systems
* Effective communicator - excellent written and verbal communication for use with patients, staff, and vendors.
* Organized - detail-oriented; consistently meets and tracks timelines and objectives