Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Dept Name- OR
REQ # 78383
Job Title: Staff Nurse
Roles & Responsibilities:
* Nursing assessment is based on the pre-operative interview, surgical safety checklist, review of patients records, diagnostic tests imaging and pathology report and review of patients record (the BRIEF)
* Develops a goal oriented care plan based on the Pre-operative interview and the nursing assessment, with participation of patient, and all surgical team members (the HUDDLE)
* Nursing actions are consistent with the care plan and medical regimen and Universal Protocal (The TIME OUT)
* Demonstrates a competent level of technical skill
* Patient's surgical progress, and disposition, Consumptions, implants, time out, fire safety, pathology, counts, staff are all documented correctly in the Electronic Record
* Discharge planning from the Operating Room is consistent with the patient's status and reflects the SBAR report to the PACU RN, or the unit the patient is directly arriving to
* Identifies specific physical needs of patients and positions appropriately to protect patients, skin, bony prominences and body alignment
* Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care, based on physical, psychosocial, educational, safety, and related criteria, appropriate to the age of the patients served in assigned area.
* Supports orientation of new staff members by observing professional behaviors, providing feedback to the staff member and by acting as a role model and a resource person
* Self Accountability (SURGICAL CONSCIENCE) and accountability of others is evident in daily practice
* Organization of provision of care meets priority needs of patients and unit.
* Condition of patients and unit requiring additional intervention is communicated to the leadership person in the relevant discipline. (CHAIN OF COMMAND)
* Adaptation to changing departmental needs reflects awareness of the needs of Peri-operative Services and the Hospital Center as a whole
* Time management, Turnover Time's/First Start Case Starts meet needs of the unit/department.
* Graduation from an accredited Nursing program. Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) preferred or plans for enrollment in program leading to same.
* 1-2 years of Operating Room experience required; Cardiac / Open Heart OR experience preferred
* Documented previous experience or educational preparation to support credentials. Specials skills/experience may be required in specialized areas
* Licensed and currently registered or otherwise duly authorized to practice as a professional nurse in New York State
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we're as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai's unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke's, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.
Associated topics: ambulatory, domiciliary, hospice, intensive, mhb, nurse rn, psychatric, recovery, registered nurse, staff nurse