The mission of New York Edge is to help bridge the opportunity gap among under-served students by providing programs designed to improve academic performance, health and wellness, self-confidence, character and attitudes for success in life.
The Literacy Education Specialist's primary concern is the improvement of learning opportunities for students attending the Sports and Arts in Schools Foundation Champion's Club After School Program in the areas of Literacy and Writing. The Literacy Educational Specialist is a multi-site instructional leader who works in close collaboration with a team of Site Directors to support front-line staff (Tutors and Activity Specialists) in the delivery of Literacy-based curricula and thematic projects. Their role is to support program instructional/enrichment goals by ensuring activities are structured, age-appropriate, align to school day instructional practices and model effective classroom instruction and management (as needed). The Literacy Education Specialist will work closely with the Senior Program Manager to understand contract compliance, requirements and individual needs for each school they serve as well as a consultant in advising the site director, teachers, tutors and activity specialists who work within the after school program
Essential Job Functions:
* Curriculum development, overseeing instruction, and staff development
* Support the development and implementation of all Student Education Plans and Progress Reports
* Facilitate teachers' use of successful, research-based instructional strategies, including differentiated instruction for diverse learners
* Assess the effectiveness and success of the curriculum and recommend changes based on the data
* Coordinate the administration and implementation of assessments systems
* Oversee collection, verification and timely entry of assessment data and work with Site Director to produce customized reports for instructional staff and leadership on an ongoing basis
* Analyze assessment data to inform curriculum development and ensure high levels of scholar performance
* Monitor grade-level-progress against program benchmarks
* Participate and co-facilitate trainings at site and New York Edge main office
* Lead instruction in the classroom on an as-needed basis
* Plans lessons, projects and units for use in the after school program and ensure the successful execution and implementation of these plans.
* Observes and gives feedback to activity specialists, teachers and tutors, providing advice and leading instruction when needed.
* Plans and implements staff development for the organization's monthly Professional Enhancement Conferences and takes a major role in our inaugural Literacy Fair
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
* Broad knowledge of the principles and practices of current educational trends in Literacy curriculum and instruction
* Understanding and experience of education in an urban setting
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, families and school partners including school administration and staff
* Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills
* Knowledge of state and national Literacy efforts
* Communicates ideas and information both orally and in writing
* Analyzes problems and implements solutions in a fast-paced setting.
* High School Diploma Required
Location: Queens, Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn & Staten Island
Time: 8:00AM- 6:00PM M-F
At time of offer and acceptance, the job requires safety and security clearances through the Department of Education and Department of Health.
New York Edge is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Disclaimer: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.