Shift Details: Tuesday - Saturday 12pm - 8pm
Performs service functions particularly related to processing of surgical specimens usually performed by residents.
* Specimen selection/triage: Selects and identifies tissue for microscopic examination. Describes measures and dictates gross findings on select specimen using appropriate terminology. Determines proper fixative and decalcification procedures. Photographs specimens as appropriate for specific use and documentation.
* Autopsy: Assists, performs, and describes, samples and reports autopsies when required.
* Special Procedures: Assists with Frozen Sections. Prepares special specimens and paraffin blocks to be sent to outside institutions. Radiographs surgical specimens and paraffin blocks.
* Specimen release: Prepares, sterilizes and photograph specimens for release when requested by patients and physicians according to policy.
* Other responsibilities: Assists in the training and supervision of new Pathology Assistants. Participates in pathology conferences for continuing education.
* Performs related duties, as required.
* Bachelor's Degree, required.
* Minimum of two (2) years formal training as a Pathologists' Assistant OR foreign medical degree with pathology training, required.
* Knowledge of automated (instruments), semi-automated and manual methods and Lab Information Systems, required.
* Excellent communication skills, required.
* NYS Pathologists' Assistant Licensure, required.
* ASCP Certification, Preferred
Associated topics: amp, anatomic, companion, genomic, hematopathologist, investigative, lab, laboratory, pth, research