Performs complete audiological evaluations for all age groups including special testing - Oto-Acoustic Emission (OAE), Auditory Brainstem Response (ABR) and CTB evaluations. Ensures fit of amplification devices and appropriateness of rehabilitative services. Provides counseling to patients and their families.
* Administers wide variety of audiological tests to determine patient's hearing level and most likely site of damage to auditory system. Anticipates degree of social disability due to hearing loss, predicts potential benefits to hearing aid use and/or special training.
* Administers ABR and Electro-Nystagmogram (ENG) examinations including detailed questionnaire and battery of tests to evaluate auditory and vestibular system. Reads, interprets, prepares and sends tracings to referring physician.
* Counsels patient and family regarding results of testing and recommendations; confers with medical staff regarding audiological and vestibular problems and makes recommendations regarding appropriate patient referral and management.
* Prepares reports on diagnostic findings. Ensures reports are distributed appropriately and confidentially as authorized by patient or patient's family.
* Provides counseling to patients and their families.
* Monitors inventory and initiates replacement orders to maintain operating supply level. Ensures supplies are properly stored.
* Provides didactic and practical in-service training to otolaryngology residents and medical students and other hospital staff.
* Participates in research, conferences, and meetings.
* May dispense hearing aids, as assigned.
* May schedule and provide cochlear implant services.
* Performs related duties, as required.
* Master's Degree in Audiology or related field, required. Doctorate Degree, preferred.
* New York State License in Audiology, required.
* New York State Department of State registration as a Hearing Aid Dispenser, preferred.
* Certification in Audiology by the American Speech, Language and Hearing Association, preferred.
* Minimum of one (1) year related experience diagnosing and treating a variety of hearing disorders. Experience dispensing hearing aids, preferred.
* Knowledge of sign language, preferred.
Associated topics: care physician, clinic, family, family medicine physician, hospitalist, nocturnist, physician md do, practice physician, primary, provider