Please be available to work minumum of 6 shifts per month.
1. Assesses thepatient's physiologic health status
* Conductspatient interview, explains policies and procedures to patient/significantothers, reviews patient's chart and answers questions correctly andcourteously; * Assessesgastrointestinal, cardiovascular, respiratory, renal and neurological healthstatus; * Determinesmobility, sensory deficits, prostheses use, and skin condition and adjusts planof care, as appropriate; * Assesseslevel of pain and pain management; * Communicates/documentspatient's physiologic health status and plan of care.
2. Assessespatient's psychosocial health status
* Elicitsperception of medical/nursing care and the expectation of care; * Determinescoping mechanism, knowledge level, and ability to comprehend; * Identifiescultural/ethnic requirements to reduce anxiety and ensure patient satisfacti? Communicatesand documents psychological status and care plan; support group, counselingservices, social services.
3. Identifiespatient outcome
* Developscriteria for measurement of patient outcomes; * Identifiesactual/potential patient problems; * Identifiespatient's need for teaching based on psychosocial and developmental assessment; * Developspatient outcome statement (s) and establishes individualized patient goals.
4. Formulatesthe plan of care and establishes the priorities necessary to achieve expectedoutcome
* Identifiescare activities and establishes the priorities necessary to achieve expectedoutcome; * Coordinatesthe cost-effective use of supplies, equipment and medication to achieveexpected outcome; * Documentsthe plan of care and collaborates with physicians and other health teammembers.
5. Implements the plan of care
* Maintainsconstant vigilance over patients care to ensure that safety precautions/needsare followed. (Side rails up, call lights and bedside stand within reach,etc.); * Exercisesprofessional skills related to the plan of care; * Reassessespatients as needed and appropriately revises plan of care; * Correctlyadministers prescribed treatments; * Correctlyuses equipment necessary for patient care; * Providesemotional support to patient and significant other; * Appliesscientific principles in performing procedures; carries them out safely, timelyand efficiently; * Makesaccurate observations of patient's conditions duringtreatments/procedures. Reports and records same as appropriate; * Keepsaccurate documentation of patient's treatment, activity and condition, as wellas patient's responses to medical and nursing interventions; * Usesappropriate methods of documentation according to departmental policy; * Actsrapidly and effectively during any emergency situation, managing self, patientsand other employees; * Provides acalm, quiet, restful atmosphere. Communicates effectively with thepatient's family or caretakers; * Participatesin planning for discharge and coordinates referrals, as appropriate; * Providesdischarge instructions to patient and significant other.
6. Evaluatescare provided for patient outcome
* Demonstratesability to measure effectiveness of care provided and documents same; * Performsvariance analysis related to outcome data for performance improvement; * Designs,implements, and evaluates systems to improve care in Unit; * Keepsaccurate documentation of patient's treatment, activity and condition; * Usesappropriate methods of documentation according to departmental policy.
7. Collaborateswith other care team members in planning and carrying out treatment regimen;provides direction to other members of the care team
* Collaborateswith the appropriate physician on patient's plan of care; * Accuratelyinterprets and implements treatment regimen as prescribed by the Physician; * Assiststhe Physician during treatments and/or diagnostic procedures; * Keeps thePatient Care Manager/designee and/or physician, abreast of changes in patient'scondition and/or treatments, as appropriate; * Usesclinical judgment in delegating assignments to the Patient Care Associate,Support Care Associate and Clerical Service Associate in providing patientcare, and ensures that assignments are completed in a timely fashion.
8. Performsgrade I-IV Decubitus Care
* Performspreventive skin care measures * Appliessimple dressings, maintaining principles of aseptic technique; * Applieswarm & cold compresses, consistent with facility procedure; * Performsirrigations, consistent with Facility procedure; * Performsother procedures related to skin care, as necessary.
9. Administersmedications correctly and safely
* Correctlyidentifies medication: action; dosage; side effects and implications for thepatient; * Meetsstandard on medication administration examination; * Demonstratespreparation of local solutions; * Demonstratespreparation of I.V. drips; * Administersand documents medication correctly; * AdministersIVP medication as per department policy and procedure; * Educatespatients and significant others related to drug and food interactions.
10. Participatesin patient and family education
* Providesthe patient with an explanation of his/her condition as indicated; * Communicatesassessment data in an orderly fashion by recording, updating and verbalizingpertinent information to care team members and to appropriate agencies; * Recognizesand utilizes health teaching opportunities and resources /materials availablefor this teaching; * Provides for earlydischarge planning and appropriate referrals for post-hospital care; * Evaluatesthe effectiveness of teaching by feedback from patient/family and documentssame.
11. Performsrelated duties, as required.
* Current license to practice as a Registered Professional Nurse in New York
* BCLS, ACLS (as required), preferred.
One year of recent acute care experience preferred.