- $115,490.00 -170,130.00/year*
21 Warren St
NS1's mission is to unlock the potential of DNS to deliver the tech that powers our customers and the world. We are the market leader in DNS and traffic management software and services, and our customers include the biggest properties and largest enterprises on the internet, such as Salesforce, LinkedIn, Squarespace, Pandora, Imgur, Yelp, Dropbox, and many more. Our modern DNS technologies enable optimized application delivery, couple via our APIs into the tooling and processes of today's DevOps organizations, and deliver reliability and performance at global scale. We operate a worldwide, highly tuned Managed DNS network, and also deliver our technologies to customers as single-tenant software deployments. We solve incredibly challenging problems on behalf of our customers, in the most mission critical parts of their stack.
NS1 is seeking a Director of Infrastructure to join our engineering leadership. This person will:
Manage scale of costs incurred through hardware, software, and operational teams as our infrastructure evolves with business demands. Design and own proactive capacity planning processes. Ensure that our design and continued automation of our systems and team models drive efficiency with growth.
Drive a paradigm shift from \"we serve DNS\" to \"we operate a global network that delivers DNS and other traffic management products\", effectively commoditizing our edge network.
Interface with product development as we consume our main products, providing feedback, participating in the design cycle, and advocating for NS1's requirements as an end user of our software.
Tie together infrastructure verticals into a single cohesive strategy, adhering roadmap to standards set around performance reliability, scale, and security of our systems. Ensure the strategic direction for the infrastructure, tooling, and management of our edge network appropriately provides and scales our end product delivery for our customers.
Manage the management structure and teams for our TechOps and DevOps teams, including coaching and developing our engineering managers and iterating upon our follow-the-sun staffing rotations.
* Single point of contact within NS1 for information and advocacy of infrastructure org
* Manage infrastructure budget, including hardware, software, and people spend.
* Manage distributed infrastructure teams. Performance management for individuals in org
* Develop and monitor SLI/SLA, supporting metrics for our infrastructure
* Serve as escalation for incident event handling, communications, and analysis
* Interface with customers on issues related to performance and incidents
* Help manage vendor relationships and ensure SLAs are met with colocation, transit, and cloud infrastructure providers.
* Own infrastructure roadmap, work prioritization, and delegation between team units within infrastructure department.
* Drive strategic planning for growth and management of our infrastructure
* Development of organizational design, and manage related hiring and onboarding activities
* Represent NS1 at industry events
* Adhere to and iterate upon compliance and regulatory models
* Iterate upon preparedness and proactivity initiatives related to managing and operating edge network including fire drills, DR drills, and chaos engineering activities.
* Own business continuity plans and disaster recovery initiatives
* Serve as primary point of contact for sales RFP content related to infra
* Oversee development of security practices
* Managed large, distributed systems. Has run a global network, and can support the demands of one of the world's largest anycasted networks
* Operated an application or platform with tens of sites and hundreds of servers
* Deep familiarity with infrastructure as code
* Has been on call in past lives and is comfortable as management escalation for on call
* Organized and effective strategic planner, with prior experience managing infrastructure budgets
* Managed managers in past teams, and has worked with globally distributed teams
Our technology stack at NS1, and the many systems you'll have an opportunity to work with here:
* Our globally distributed platform is comprised of many subsystems including:
* Custom built DNS platform that's deployed on physical hardware
* Anycasted edge network that spans nearly 30 facilities globally
* REST API and Client Portal
* Deployment automation, CI/CD, unit/integration testing
* Monitoring, metrics collection and alerting
* Traffic load balancing, filtering, and DDoS mitigation tools
* Distributed messaging, persistent DB and caching systems
* Other technologies and integrations include:
* Linux, Ansible, Docker & other container platforms
* BGP, BPF, SDN, packet analysis
* MongoDB, Redis, RabbitMQ, PostgreSQL
* Go, Python, Bash, C, C++14, React, Redux, node
* OpenTSDB, ELK, Grafana
* Integrations with third party SaaS, APIs, and libraries, various Open Source projects including REST API clients and integrations
Working @ NS1
We're a fast-growing, well-funded startup based in the heart of New York City's Financial District with offices and team members around the world. Working at NS1, you'll come to understand our team is unique, both in and out of the workplace. We have PhDs, musicians, artists, and athletes working side by side, dedicated to delivering first class products. We're hardworking, but we're also a compassionate group. We understand that outside of NS1 is a world that places demands on our time. Our leadership team is dedicated to open and honest communication and we continuously strive to foster a culture of transparency, flexibility, and creativity.
* competitive compensation (salary and stock options)
* medical, dental, and vision
* commuter benefits
* flexible hours and time off
* choice of workstation
NS1 is an equal opportunity employer.
Associated topics: design, engineering, manufacture, product, product manager, production, program manager, quality
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.