Product Specialist, Dresses
Mfg & Sourcing
Ralph Lauren Corporation (NYSE:RL) is a global leader in the design, marketing and distribution of premium lifestyle products in four categories: apparel, home, accessories and fragrances. For 50 years, Ralph Lauren's reputation and distinctive image have been consistently developed across an expanding number of products, brands and international markets. The Company's brand names, which include Ralph Lauren Purple Label, Ralph Lauren Collection, Double RL, Polo Ralph Lauren, Polo Ralph Lauren Children's, Ralph Lauren Home, Lauren Ralph Lauren, RLX, American Living, Chaps and Club Monaco, constitute one of the world's most widely recognized families of consumer brands.
The Product Specialist is responsible for determining & setting garment specifications and standards within PLM for more complex fashion product categories within the brand. They own product from the concept (Initial Style Development) stage through to final production approval stage. The Product Specialist leads fit sessions, owns product risk assessment, manages sample fit approvals, influences calendar & workflow for their specified garment category. This role requires a high level of communication, technical, patternmaking and problem solving skills.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
* Create tech packs in PLM for suppliers to properly execute sampling/production to Design intent - This includes specs, draping, and construction sketches for the more complex fashion categories in the brand.
* Experience in engineering prints, embroidery, beading and novelty fabrics.
* Develop PLM block templates for Tech Pack Creation and confirm final grade rules
* Ensure a robust design development handoff takes place with all the appropriate components to build a complete tech pack.
* Expertise in fitting with live models, advise risks with construction, fit and execution within specific categories.
* Responsible for physical garment measuring and full external and internal garment evaluations.
* Execute options, mockups and revisions after Design review (i.e.: embossing, scales, artwork placement, engineered embellishment placement, patchwork, details, etc.)
* Provide technical insight into new silhouette development & manage brand block creation.
* Partners with Design and PD to offer options to meet design intent and margin targets for new silhouettes
* Ensure consistent style aesthetic intent and construction from vendor to vendor on like styles.
* Partner with QA to develop best practices (protocols) on product quality execution and style risk mitigation.
* Own & conduct prototype and stock fittings according to RL standards
* Partner with global RL and supplier tech members to ensure execution of complex construction, finishing and fit on specific seasonal styles or programs.
* Effectively communicate with cross functional teams to ensure seasonal calendar milestone deliverables are met.
* Owns escalating issues when and where appropriate with supporting facts, root cause and possible solutions.
* Track workload efficiently to meet individual deadlines while pulling seasonal reporting from PLM when needed.
* Own product Risk Assessment in partnership with QA partners prior to bulk production and ensure correct action plans are taken where necessary.
* Travel to regional sourcing offices/factories and work with technical teams to calibrate, train, educate, and understand factory capabilities.
* Supervise and manage workload for product engineer and/or product technician.
* Coach and help train team members for continuous technical proficiency development.
* E- mail, phone and video conference communication with sourcing offices and suppliers.
* Attend WIP meetings & seasonal line reviews
* Attend handoffs for Bulk after open to buy meetings.
Experience, Skills & Knowledge
* Degree or Certification in Apparel Manufacturing, Design, Patternmaking or equivalent work experience
* 10+ years in Technical Design
* Expertise in patternmaking including draping, grading, sewing, construction and fit for multiple or complex product categories.
* Proven ability to successfully oversee a complex category while making product quality and seasonal deliverables a priority.
* Strong verbal and written communication skills
* Proven organizational skills and ability manage competing priorities.
* Strong sense of urgency, attention to detail & resourcefulness
* Responsible and accountable
* Ability to proactively problem solve
* Knowledge of 3D programs a plus
Product Specialist - Dresses
Associated topics: apparel, fashion, lectra, model, patternmaker, pattern drafting, sewer, sweaters, textile, texture