- Saint-Gobain Corporation
- $89,245.00 -138,950.00/year*
10 Howard St
The Engineering Mechanics team of the Competency Research Labs, which support different Saint-Gobain businesses in their R&D efforts, is looking to add an enthusiastic and knowledge engineer to the team. The primary role of the team is to perform engineering analysis and provide technical solutions to aid the development and improvement of Saint-Gobain products. We are currently further developing our competencies in the area of Analysis of Composites and Multiphase Materials, and Stochastic Modeling. Projects considered for this VIE candidate focus on the characterization and modeling of multiphase materials to predict their mechanical and thermo-mechanical behavior. In addition, projects related to stochastic computational modeling will be tackled to address structural and material property variations.
The VIE Responsibilities include:
* Develop test methods to characterize the mechanical properties of different phases and interphases in multiphase materials and structures, and their failure modes.
* Develop finite element models to predict the mechanical and thermo-mechanical responses of multiphase materials and structures.
* Develop computational stochastic models to predict the mechanical response of materials and structures under varying properties and conditions.
* Present technical results and recommendations in a clear and concise manner to a wide range of technical and non-technical audiences.
Your mission will consist of:
* Working with an experienced engineer, interact with business R&D personnel to identify, analyze, and provide technical solutions for product development problems through mechanical testing, engineering simulation and analysis in the field of solid mechanics, focusing on composite materials and structures.
* Perform numerical QA and experimental validation to ensure accuracy of analysis results. Interpret and synthesize the analysis and test results. Present to and discuss with customers, recommend and follow through the solutions.
* Manage projects to ensure the on-time-delivery of high quality results appropriate to the project goals.
* Report and document the analysis method, data, results, and conclusions as presentations and technical memos.
Duration: 18 months
Located in Northborough, MA USA
* Strong background in solid mechanics (i.e. elasticity & plasticity theory, fracture mechanics, thermo-mechanical analysis), and numerical methods.
* Prior experience with commercial finite element analysis software such as Abaqus or Ansys is required.
* Prior training and experience with mechanical property characterization and using mechanical testing instruments is required.
* Background in modeling, analysis, and characterization of composites and multiphase materials is highly desired, but not required.
* Knowledge and background in stochastic modeling is a plus, but not required.
* Good hands-on skills and comfortable working in a lab environment.
* Programming skills in C++/Fortran/Python is desired, but not required.
* The ability to communicate effectively (in writing and orally), and presentation skills are critical.
* Fluent in English.
* The ability to work comfortably and flexibly in a diverse and fast moving environment.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE POSITION:
* Skills associated with a Ph.D. in Mechanical/Aerospace/Civil/Materials Engineering (or related fields), or an M.S. in Mechanical/Aerospace/Civil/Materials Engineering (or related fields) with 1-2 years of experience.
* Background in engineering solid mechanics and numerical methods.
* Good team collaboration, results-oriented and problem-solving skills.
Please be aware that the VIE is a French government program open only to citizens of the European Economic Area* under 28 years of age.
For more information concerning the V.I.E. program please visit www.civiweb.com.
* 28 Member States of the European Union including Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein and Monaco
Associated topics: ansys, assembly, boiler, bsme, design, mechanism, powertrain, propulsion, rotordynamic, vehicle
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...