Assistant Curator, Guggenheim Abu Dhabi Project
Compensation: $134,440.00 - $127,870.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Advertising/Marketing/Public Relations
Loading some great jobs for you...
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is seeking an Assistant Curator for the Abu Dhabi Project team, based in New York. This position is responsible for assisting with the curatorial needs for the Guggenheim Abu Dhabi Project.
Responsibilities include: Initiating and supporting research and development on modern and contemporary art exhibitions and programs for the Guggenheim Abu Dhabi; identifying works, conducting research, compiling materials and writing scholarly reports for acquisitions for Guggenheim Abu Dhabi; administration and coordination of exhibition checklists; writing and/or providing support as needed for exhibitions, museum publications and publicly accessible content in written and electronic form; acting as a curatorial ambassador for the Guggenheim Abu Dhabi project.
Founded in 1937, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is dedicated to promoting the understanding and appreciation of art, architecture, and other manifestations of visual culture, primarily of the modern and contemporary periods. The Guggenheim realizes this mission through exceptional exhibitions, education programs, research initiatives, and publications. The Guggenheim strives to engage and educate an increasingly diverse international audience through its unique network of museums and partnerships. With nearly three million annual visitors worldwide, the Guggenheim and its network is one of the most visited cultural institutions in the world.
- Assist with the research, development and successful delivery of the acquisitions, exhibitions, publications, and commissioning program for Guggenheim Abu Dhabi.
- Conduct scholarly research on artists and artworks as needed for exhibitions, commissions, acquisitions and publications.
- Maintain research database on artists and works of interest for exhibitions, commissions and special programs.
- Develop and maintain curatorial object and artist file including records for exhibitions activity, correspondence with artists and their representatives, museums, galleries and collectors.
- Maintain curatorial data in computerized collections management system (TMS and/or Emu) and initiate data entry for exhibitions.
- Work with Senior Curator, Associate Curator and other members of the Curatorial team in the preparation of acquisition proposals and acquisition meetings including writing scholarly curatorial reports on artists and works.
- Manage the editorial process and production of the Curatorial Reports publication for each round of Guggenheim Abu Dhabi acquisitions.
- Manage the research, editorial process and delivery of final object captions on Guggenheim Abu Dhabi collection for the permanent record.
- Assist in all aspects of exhibitions development including administration of loan requests and negotiations; liaise with exhibitions management, technical and installation teams to support implementation and with Project Management and exhibition management teams in budget preparation and management for exhibitions and exhibition-related projects.
- Participate and support preparation of meetings of the Guggenheim Abu Dhabi Working Group; participate in regular Guggenheim Abu Dhabi curatorial meetings and Guggenheim departmental meetings.
- Assist the Senior Curator and Associate Curator in the preparation of PowerPoint presentations for curatorial, scholarly and external stakeholder meetings.
- Liaise with Education teams on public programs and interpretation materials.
- Assist with preparation and management of catalogue production and online content.
- Compile exhibition catalogue bibliographies and chronologies as directed on a project-by-project basis. Contribute scholarly essays as directed on a project-by-project basis.
- Work with Publications department to assemble images and texts, and confirm reproduction and copyright permissions for all published material.
- Write short texts on artworks for exhibition wall texts, catalogue entries, and other print and electronic media as called upon.
- Confirm label copy for all works for exhibitions, loans, publications, and educational materials.
- Respond to internal requests for information about exhibitions and commissions.
- General fact checking for the Development department and the Media and Public Relations Department.
- Assist in the supervision of Guggenheim Abu Dhabi project interns.
- Other projects as assigned.
The Guggenheim offers a competitive salary and excellent medical, dental, life insurance, disability and pension plan coverage. Our staff also enjoys generous vacation, sick leave and personal days, access to a variety of cultural institutions, discounts to museum stores and a stimulating and collegial work environment.
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
- M.A. in Art History or the equivalent (defined as at least 3 years prior museum work experience). Ph.D or advanced graduate studies in global art history and critical theory is preferred.
- Background in modern and contemporary art with demonstrated interest in global art history.
- Previous experience of working in a museum curatorial department.
- Interest and ability in curatorial research.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Professional demeanor and diplomatic approach.
- Ability to successfully interact with a wide variety of internal and external individuals, including artists, galleries, donors, and colleagues in the museum field.
- Proficiency in language from West Asia or South Asia and one European language desired.
- Knowledge of computer databases and MS Office software.
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...