Minimum Qualifications EDUCATION & REQUIREMENTS:
Education level required: J. D. or LLB from an accredited law school; admission to New York State Bar
Equivalent Experience required: Minimum of 6 years of general legal experience or relevant government legal experience
Knowledge Required: General knowledge of New York State law, intellectual property law, and Freedom of Information law is preferred.
Duties Description Basic Function: Responsible for providing legal assistance on all matters, including Minority and Women Business Enterprise Program, tax credit and grant programs, freedom of information law requests, and intellectual property issues.
* Serve as primary legal counsel to the New York State Division of Minority and Women's Business Development (DMWBD) and its management of the Minority and Women's Business Enterprise (MWBE) program.
* Support and advise the DMWBD Executive Director including:
* provide advice on applications for NYS MWBE certification;
* represent the DMWBD in administrative law appeal hearings on denials of certification;
* provide counsel regarding program compliance, including but not limited to procurements, FOIL requests or other third- party inquiries;
* establishing legal framework for program directives;
* act as legal contact person for the program with other NYS entities on compliance and procurement requirements related MWBE program.
* Draft and/or comment on MWBE program legislation, guidelines, regulations and requests for proposals;
* Serve as legal point of contact and advisor on significant State initiatives - including capital projects and other priority projects regarding compliance with Article 15a;
* Participate in internal and external meetings related to the MWBE program.
* Provide advice and counsel regarding revolving loan fund programs, including the drafting and approval of program guidelines and regulations; drafting, issuing and evaluating responses to Requests for Proposals for new program lending entities
* Assist with legal work on all DED tax credit and incentive programs, including Excelsior, Jobs Retention, ETF, film tax credit, post production credit, musical and theatrical and commercial production credit programs
* Draft/comment upon economic development related legislation, regulations, guidelines and executive orders as needed
* Draft/comment on economic development related RFPs as well as provide counsel on NYS procurement law
* Provide backup assistance on DED FOIL requests
* Provide backup assistance on intellectual property matters, including legal issues surrounding world famous ILNY brand
* Support advocacy and stakeholder communications related to above described programs
Additional Comments - Salary commensurate with experience
* Comprehensive Benefit Package
* We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity*
Associated topics: attorney, criminology, constitutional, felony, evidence, guard, jurisdiction, jury, lawyer, public defender