*Please be aware of an Identity Theft Scheme targeting individuals seeking jobs with Takeda and other employers. See below or here for more info.
Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people's lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takedas long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
As one of the worlds leading biopharmaceutical companies, Takeda is committed to bringing Better Health and a Brighter future to people worldwide. We aspire to bring our leadership in translating science into life-changing medicines to the next level, in our core focus areas; oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, rare diseases, plasma-derived therapies, and vaccines. The Greater Boston Area is headquarters to many of our Global and US business units.
We are a passionate team doing important work that impacts patients lives. If you are driven to create better health and a brighter future, join us!
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the traits were looking for and see if you have the right mix.
Life at Takeda
A Global Top Employer
Recognized for our culture and way of working, were one of only select companies to receive Top Global Employer status for 2019.
Job ID SR0037927 Date posted 07/24/2019 Location Cambridge, Massachusetts
The PDT BU R&D group is dedicated to bringing forward new therapeutic approaches based on plasma-derived therapies for patients with rare and complex diseases. Takeda believes there is tremendous potential to do more to meet patients and health care providers expectations with plasma-derived and plasma-oriented therapies for patients with immunologic, hematologic, and other complex diseases. The Head, Clinical Medicine, Plasma-Derived Therapies Business Unit will have the ability to create and define the future vision and operating model for the team. There will be two main drivers of innovation in the newly-formed PDT R&D group:
- Translational Pharmaceutical Sciences: This innovation engine will practice rapid-cycle innovation to test and develop improvements to existing products, develop new products, and improve yield. It will combine translational research with pharmaceutical sciences and device, and will receive inputs from and into clinical research and manufacturing sciences.
- Precision Medicine: This innovation engine will focus on developing comprehensive, value-oriented health care delivery packages around drug products, targeted to maximize benefit and reduce risk to precise patient populations. In the process, this engine will drive innovation by practicing patient-centric R&D.
The Senior Medical Director leads and drives strategy for the overall global (US/EU/Japan) clinical development taking into consideration the medical, scientific, regulatory and commercial issues for multiple Takeda PDT BU pipeline compounds. Leads a multi-disciplinary, multi-regional, matrix team through highly complex decisions. This individual has the ultimate responsibility for development decisions assessing and integrating the input from various disciplines to create, maintain, and execute a global clinical development plan that will result in the regulatory approval of the assigned compounds in multiple regions. Applies clinical/medical decision making to clinical development issues. This individual influences PDT R&D senior leadership decision-making by setting strategic direction. Success or failure directly translates to the ability of PDT R&D to meet its corporate goals and for Takeda to have future commercial products.
- Clinical Development team participation and leadership
- Leads the Global Development Team (US, EU, Japan) managing both the US/EU Development Team and the Japan Development team for assigned compounds. Emphasis will be on insuring that the development teams are proactively identifying contingencies, potential risks and strategies to address future obstacles.
- Directs Development Team strategy and deliverables overseeing the Development Strategy, Clinical Development Plan and Clinical Protocols. Recommends scope, complexity and size, which influence the budget of all aspects of a program. Provides continual critical evaluation of the development strategy to maintain a state-of-the-art development plan that is competitive and consistent with the latest regulatory requirements, proactive identification of challenges, and development of contingency plans to meet them.
- Responsible for high impact global decisions: monitoring and interpreting data from ongoing internal and external studies, assessing the medical and scientific implications and making recommendations that impact regional and global development such as go/no go decisions or modification of development plans or study designs that may have a significant impact on timelines or product labeling. Plans clinical development strategies in context of medical/clinical significance considering how a given product will fit in with current treatments, standard of care, and unmet medical need. A significant error in judgment may result in loss of approvability and/or commercial viability of a product.
- Synopsis / Protocol Development, Study Execution, & Study Interpretation
- Drives all Clinical Medicine department activities relating to the preparation / approval of Synopses, Protocols and the conduct of clinical studies. Serves as an advisor to the medical directors, assoc. med directors, clinical scientists involved in these activities, and be accountable to senior company management for the successful completion of underlying objectives. For the assigned compounds, accountable for the successful completion of projects undertaken - and for pro-active contingency planning / interventions necessary to ensure achievement of related goals.
- Interprets data from an overall scientific standpoint as well as within the context of the medical significance to individual patients.
- Trial Medical Monitoring
- Oversees medical monitoring activities, assessing issues related to protocol conduct and/or individual subject safety. Assesses overall safety information for studies and compounds in conjunction with Pharmacovigilance.
- External Interactions
- Directs activities involved in interactions with regulatory authories/agencies and clinical development and key opinion leaders relevant to assigned compounds. Provides leadership and serves as an advisor to the others engaged in these activities and, in the context of these responsibilities, will be accountable to senior leadership for the successful completion of related objectives.
- Due Diligence, Business Development and Alliance Projects
- Responsible for identification and evaluation of potential business development opportunities, conducts due diligence evaluations, and development and negotiation of clinical development plans for potential alliances and or in-licensing opportunities. Assesses scientific, medical, and development feasibility, evaluating strategic fit with overall portfolio, evaluating complete or ongoing clinical trials, assessing regulatory interactions and future development plans, interacting with upper management of potential partner/acquisition companies during DD visits and alliance negotiations, and representing clinical science on internal assessment teams.
- Serves as clinical contact point for ongoing alliance projects and interfaces with partner to achieve Takeda PDT BUs strategic goals while striving to maintain good working relationship between Takeda PDT BU and partner. Provides guidance to others who are involved in some of these activities.
- Interacts directly with research division based on pertinent clinical and development expertise to provide knowledge/understanding of market environment in line with status as PDT R&D scientific content matter expert for assigned compounds. Represents clinical science on high impact/priority task forces across the organization or external to the company. Leads PDT R&D internal teams and global cross-functional teams.
- Hires, manages, mentors, motivates, empowers, develops and retains staff to support assigned activities. Conducts performance reviews and drive goal setting and development planning.
EDUCATION, BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- MD or internationally recognized equivalent plus 7 years of clinical research experience within the pharmaceutical industry, CRO health-related consulting company, or biomedical/clinical experience within academia (or a combination of afore mentioned).
- Previous experience successfully leading a clinical development team/matrix team with responsibility for studies in multiple regions. Development experience beyond US/EU is desired.
- NDA/MAA/Submission experience preferred
- Experience with and demonstrated ability to lead and manage highly trained medical, scientific and technical professionals preferred
- Superior communication, strategic, interpersonal and negotiating skills
- Ability to proactively predict issues and solve problems
- Ability to drive decision-making within a multi-disciplinary, multi-regional, matrix teams
- Diplomacy and positive influencing abilities across multinational business cultures
- Knowledge in Immunology, Immunodeficiencies, Neurology, Pulmonology or related specialties relevant to disease mechanisms and plasma derived/related therapies
- Board certification/s in related specialty areas is desired
- Regional/global Regulatory requirements
- Emerging research in plasma derived/related therapies
- Physician and Surgeon Medical License or equivalent
- Board certification/s in related specialty area is desired
- Ability to drive to or fly to various meetings or client sites, including overnight trips. Some international travel may be required.
- Requires approximately 10 - 20% travel.
Notice to Employment / Recruitment Agents:
Employment / Recruitment agents may only submit candidates for vacancies only if they have written authorization to do so from Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takedas Talent Acquisition department. Any agency candidate submission may only be submitted to positions opened to the agency through the specific Agency Portal. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda will only pay a fee for candidates submitted or presented where there is a fully executed contract in place between the Employment / Recruitment agents and Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda and only if the candidate is submitted via the Agency Portal. Candidates submitted or presented by Employment / Recruitment Agents without a fully executed contract or submitted through this site shall not be deemed to form part of any Engagement for which the Agency may claim remuneration.
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law.
EEO is the Law -
EEO is the Law Supplement -
Pay Transparency Policy -
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please call 484-###-#### and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
Job ID SR0037927
Check out where you could be
working if you apply.
Interested In Search for a category and select one from the list of suggestions. Search for a location and select one from the list of suggestions. Finally, click Add to create your job alert.
- Drug Development Operations, Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States Remove
- Medical Affairs (Local), Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States Remove
Job Seekers: Protect yourself against identity theft
Please be aware there are instances of identity thieves posting Takeda-branded jobs and posing as employees to steal personal information. They visit job-related websites and invite candidates to online chats. During the chat, they press job seekers to provide bank account information and Social Security numbers.
At Takeda, we do not ask for personal financial information during telephone, in-person or video interviews. And we are investigating ways to mitigate or stop this scheme. If you have concerns related to this issue, consider the following actions: 1) If in the U.S., place a freeze on your credit reports: 2) file a complaint with the U.S. Federal Trade Commission: and/or 3) file a report with your local police department.
Copyright 1995-2019 Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited. All rights reserved.
Associated topics: alumni, community, demand generation, marketplace, medical center, policies, public relations, social media, solicitation, university relationship