The New Jewish Home, Manhattan
The New Jewish Home has been a New York eldercare landmark for nearly 170 years, and we're still creating innovative new ways to serve seniors every day. Our staff is the heart and soul of the work we do. From the compassionate caregivers, therapists, doctors and nurses on each campus to the seasoned administrative teams that help us all to work better together, we offer an unbeatable support system for New York's elders who rely on us - in their homes and on our campuses - for a tremendous range of services. GCD, started in 2006, is a workforce development program which empowers, supports, and trains underserved youth in an applied healthcare setting. We are looking for qualified individuals who will be responsible for the organization and delivery of quality program, catering to teens, in an afterschool setting/summer enrichment.
The GCD Department is currently seeking a FULL TIME Alumni Engagement and Career Specialist to join their Team!
Job Summary: As a key member of the Geriatrics Career Development (GCD) Program team, the Alumni Engagement & Career Specialist will engage with current GCD participants and GCD graduates in an effort to prepare for and secure employment. Acting as a direct service provider and a referral source to outside resources, the Alumni Engagement and Career Specialist must possess a strong work ethic, a passion for working with underserved adolescents and young adults, and be able to build and manage relationships with internal and external partners contributing to the professional success of the GCD alumni network.
REPORTS TO: GCD Young Adult & Alumni Program Manager
* This position may require some mornings, evenings and Saturdays at multiple sites. Hours, days and locations fluctuate based on seasonal changes.
* Perform and develop creative outreach to all graduates of GCD's High School and Young Adult Programs through telephone, email, and social media
* Serve as a career development consultant to all GCD Program participants - via the delivery of workshops, trainings, presentations, and other events to foster participant professional success
* Monitor the GCD Alumni email inbox and respond to requests in a timely fashion
* Curate and share professional opportunities; connect Alumni with jobs, internships, and opportunities at The New Jewish Home; provide support through the application, interview, and follow-up process
* Continue to develop career development curriculum to assist with career exploration and planning
* Build and maintain a network of potential healthcare employers for job opportunities
* Play an active role within the larger GCD team, leading and supporting other program activities as needed
* Performs other related duties as required
SPECIALIZED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
* Excellent interpersonal skills; Engaging, extroverted personality is a strong asset
* Strong computer literacy- specifically Excel, is required
* Experience in planning and facilitating group workshops/events
* Ability to work independently and as a part of a team
* Excellent verbal and written communication required
* Attention to detail and deadlines
* Flexibility and adaptability a must
* Bilingual preferred (Spanish/English)
* At least one year in Career Counseling or Coaching
* Bachelor's Degree required
* Experience with underserved, urban young adults and first-generation college students
* Passion for working with adolescents; positive youth development ideology
* Familiarity with healthcare career trajectories
* Experience developing new roles or new initiatives
* Familiarity with research methods and program evaluation is a plus
* Required to stand and talk or hear, walk and sit.
* Lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
* Travel to multiple divisions when necessary.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions of the position without compromising patient/resident/client care.
Associated topics: academic counselor, administrative assistant, administrative support, advocate, attendance, attendance clerk, counselor, counsel, elementary school counselor, secretary