The Video Editor will work across the newsroom video team to bring compelling original video journalism to life. This editor will not simply respond to an assignment and cut to order - the ideal candidate will ideate and conceive of innovative story forms and executions. We are looking for a candidate with a strong video editing background and a portfolio that demonstrates the ability to deliver work like our visual forensics, news explainers and on the ground international stories. We are looking for an inventive thinker and creative thought leader who can deliver a top-notch product under intense deadline pressure. This is a temporary Guild position.
The Video Editor will:
* Conceive and create fresh original videos related to the news
* Edit creatively both for linear and interactive features
* Execute quick-turn video during large-scale breaking news events and unfolding investigative stories
* Contribute to defining style and branding techniques that give our video a voice and make it stand out from the pack
* Participate in the initial production process:
* Recording and editing narration audio
* Selecting and editing still imagery in connection with the story
* Perform research around source material
* Participate in the post-production and publishing processes:
* Working within the CMS to prepare and publish the work
* Perform finishing steps as needed (audio mixing and color grading)
* Drafting written copy (headlines, summaries)
* 5+ years of experience in digital video journalism
* Expert-level abilities in Adobe Premiere Pro
* Must have a digital portfolio that demonstrates innovation, creativity, and quick-thinking.
* Ability to collaborate closely with small teams
* Must have a proven track record of solid editorial judgment that aligns with the ethics of The Times newsroom.
* Must be comfortable working on tight, demanding deadlines and in high-stress breaking news situations and able to juggle multiple projects at any given time.
* Experience incorporating motion graphics, understanding how they can drive a story
* Strong writing and editing skills, and knowledge of Times style or the ability to absorb and apply it quickly
* Must be open to experimenting with new ideas
* Some travel, including international travel, required
The New York Times is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce, one that reflects the varied global community we serve. Our journalism and the products we build in the service of that journalism greatly benefit from a range of perspectives, which can only come from diversity of all types, across our ranks, at all levels of the organization. Achieving true diversity and inclusion is the right thing to do. It is also the smart thing for our business. So we strongly encourage women, veterans, people with disabilities, people of color and gender nonconforming candidates to apply.
The New York Times Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics.
Associated topics: columnist, comedy writer, copywriting, editor, editorial, media, press, romance, scriptwriter, writer editor