The CAD Production Designer will support all aspects related to JDIW projects. The position will focus on ensuring design and product integrity throughout the development life-cycle for all projects flowing through the JDIW. The position will include 5 Key Accountabilities including Prototype & File Creation, Communication, Support for Cross Functional Partners, Collaboration & Leadership, Technology Leader. Functions under each Key Accountability will be compliant with Universal performance Accountabilities (Strategy, Innovation & Creativity; Execution & Product Excellence; Collaboration & Partnerships; and Expertise & Judgment) and Key performance Accountabilities specific to the position itself, including Formal Training and Advanced Knowledge & Experience.
Prototype & File Creation
* The Production Designer will interface with Design Creative, Manufacturing & JDIW teams (Model Makers, Quality & Standards, Engineering) on product functionality, and technical design elements including form, style, details and materials. * The primary function of the Production Designer is to translate Design Concepts into reality * Plan, create, develop, and/or maintain 3D Finished Goods Level CAD (3D FG WIP, or 3D Soft Prototype CAD) models for new products, existing products (reverse engineering), and line extensions * Ensure ALL models created are in keeping with modeling best practices and manufacturing standards (e.g., closed solid objects, minimal object density, model/structure organization, etc.) * Create, maintain and organize 2-D, 3-D shared design standards, specifications and templates across all product families . Prepare engineering and design materials in compliance with archiving procedures -Archive appropriately, organize and maintain shared files * Plan, create, and prepare Finished Good Drawings, and associated technical illustrations for new product concepts, existing products (reverse engineering), and line extensions * In consultation with Model Makers and Engineers, provide initial CAD direction on component breakout, construction, and methods of fabrication for the Critical Requirements Document * Provide timely and innovative CAD solutions to complex mechanical problems, at any point in the production life-cycle * Create multiple sized 3D FG WIP CAD models and multiple color ways based on Designer artwork and project direction * Plan, create, develop, and/or maintain presentation quality artwork including photo-realistic concept renderings using a variety of software packages (V-Ray, Keyshot, Maxwell, Photoshop, and Illustrator)
* Establish and monitor individual time-lines, and ensure adherence to overall project timelines and accurate completion of projects. Identify and communicate potential barriers to meeting completion timelines as soon as they arise * Responsible for updating work-flow tracking documents and reporting on overall project status in various documents and face to face meetings * Communicate effectively to keep team updated on project status, issues, and concerns. Identify potential barriers to meeting completion timelines as soon as they arise * Proactively flag critical issues for consideration that may impact design and/or design aesthetic when creating and transferring 3D FGL-CAD models, and at any point in the production life-cycle * Proactively flag critical issues for consideration that may impact manufacturing and/or quality of final product (e.g., meeting of tolerances, reliability between 3D FG WIP CAD and final product) when creating and transferring 3D FG WIP CAD models, and at any point in the production life-cycle
Support for Cross Functional Partners
* Partner with JDIW and design team to oversee process from concept design through product development and balance product line to meet creative and business needs * Interface with Director, Manager, Designers and cross-functional departments on project direction, review of Concept Art / CAD timelines and issues * Attend and actively participate in departmental meetings with management to identify new and/or updated standards and template needs . Partner with engineering and manufacturing on technical updates to organized standards and templates * Proactively communicate risks and opportunities to all relevant JDIW counterparts * Support internal and external suppliers as needed by the project team to demonstrate product requirements and techniques
Collaboration and LeadershipLeadership
* Ensure accurate and timely input to CR docs * Partner with JDIW, PD, Design and MFG partners on technical aspects of development. * Support JDIW project team according to project needs and lead related CAD discussions * Collaborate with JDIW Project Team to provide direction during prototyping phases and align support for Design and Product Development teams; including but not limited to annotated images, CAD overlays, technical specifications product comparison analysis/comparative documents
* When appropriate, research and operationalize innovative processes during the design, concept, and prototyping stages of the design lifecycle * Develop and enhance new and existing CAD workflows, and supporting communication tools as needed * Remain current with industry standards and knowledge related but not limited to; CAD, Model Making, Gold/Metalsmithing, material properties of precious and non precious materials from different manufacturing processes (e.g. stamped silver vs. cast silver), as well as Advanced Materials * As needed, attend tradeshows, conferences and report/make recommendations for new technologies * When required, work with IT and management to implement and troubleshoot new and existing CAD technology; update/advise management on departmental software/technology upgrades; and work with IT and Design Administration to implement new technology * Provide leadership for CAD and Technology leadership for JDIW coworkers, Design teams, and Manufacturing * Research, develop, and implement best practice standards and procedures across key business areas including but not limited to existing materials; new materials; manufacturing; and mechanical functionality/approaches * Build contacts and networks with external Engineering and Design technology developers
* Bachelors degree or diploma in Jewelry Design, Jewelry Arts, Industrial or Fashion Design, or Engineering * Significant CAD and model making training and experience * Expert skill-set, with high effectiveness and efficiency in Rhino, Modo, SolidWorks, T-Splines, Z-Brush, Adobe CS, KeyShot, V-Ray, Maxwell * Manufacturing knowledge of jewelry and/or other related industries * Formal creative design training and experience, with high degree of aesthetic sensibility * Extensive experience working with diverse materials (e.g., woods/ceramics/rubber/etc.) and gemstones/diamonds * Significant experience building, repairing, and troubleshooting metalsmithing/materials manufacturing processes while maintaining design integrity * Experience applying formal training/skillset to developing a successful design/collection * Excellent written and verbal communication * Strong team player with a high level of professionalism * Ability to adapt and meet urgent timelines under high demand conditions
* Formal goldsmithing and/or metalsmithing training * 3-5 Years experience as a custom bench jeweler * Gemological training with GIA or FGA diploma * Formal gem- and diamond-setting training and experience * Industry Certification
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.