Fitness Specialist Job Description
The Fitness Specialist is responsible the growth and general administration of a club's fitness program, including fitness sales and revenue. The Fitness Specialist is accountable for developing personal trainers to sell fitness services, make the appropriate recommendations based on client goals and delivering quality programming throughout the client lifecycle. The Fitness Specialist reports directly to the General Manager. The Fitness Specialist may also work closely and receive direction from the Area Fitness Specialist and/or Fitness Director.
The Fitness Specialist role achieves success through embodying our core competencies (Create the TSI Environment, Build a High Performing Team, Achieve Measurable Results).
Create the TSI Environment
Models the core attributes of a successful employee with the utmost integrity, lives the mission and empowers others to do the same; focused on building meaningful relationships with members, their kids and team members.
* Modeling and promoting the Clubhouse Rules.
* Being available to team members to address questions and concerns.
* Ensuring that the club provides high levels of customer service, a consistently clean club, friendly service and responds to member/client feedback.
* Creating a strong sense of team by fostering collaboration, communication and alignment amongst team members.
* Actively listening to member and employee concerns, addressing issues before they become problems.
* Adhering to all TSI policies and procedures including, (but not limited to) timeliness, codes of conduct, uniforms and timekeeping. Setting expectations around the same for team members.
* Guiding Personal Trainers through managing client relationships effectively.
Build a High Performing Team
Actively facilitates self and team member development; constantly seeking new ways to build skills and competency; elevates the brand experience.
* Creating an environment where employees thrive and look forward to coming to work.
* Sourcing, recruiting and onboarding qualified Personal Trainers.
* Delivering relevant and effective coaching, training, feedback and performance management to team members.
* Creating robust development plans for team members who want to take on stretch assignments or progress to another role.
* Routinely connect with PT team to evaluate areas of opportunity in all areas of the client lifecycle.
* Partner with GM in conducting regular progression meetings to assess performance and validate PT certifications.
* Responding to client/member requests and inquiries in a timely manner.
* Addressing potential safety hazards, equipment or maintenance issues on the fitness floor.
* Making sure the fitness floor is clean, organized and presentable.
* Working with new and current members to ensure awareness of fitness programs offered.
* Manager on duty responsibilities as required.
Required Skills and Experience:
* BA/ BS degree (in a fitness related field preferred) and a Personal Training Certification by a TSI authorized provider.
* Three years overall in the fitness industry with at least one year of directly selling fitness services.
* Minimum of 1 year delivering personal training services and creating fitness programs for clients.
* Minimum of 2-3 years of supervisory experience.
* Physical demands include ability to walk through all areas of clubs, repetitive squatting, bending and lifting (e.g., 40 - 60 lbs.), restacking of weights, moving of equipment as necessary and ability to demonstrate other exercise movements as part of a personal fitness workout.
* Prior administrative experience, including planning, calendaring and scheduling
* AED/CPR Certified
Due to the nature of the business, Town Sports has specific scheduling guidelines for this position.
* Team Members are required to work 3 out of the last 4 days of the month, with the last day of the month being mandatory.
* TSI does not authorize vacation time in the months of January or September.
* This position does not have a set schedule month-to-month and is subject to changes based on the needs of the business.