Uncommon Schools is a non-profit network of 53 outstanding public charter schools in grades K-12 across New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. Our mission is to start and manage outstanding urban public charter schools that close the achievement gap and prepare students from low-income backgrounds for success in college and beyond. We are accomplishing that mission every day, with a college graduation rate that is well above the national average and thousands of stories of our students and alumni achieving their dreams.
Internal Title: Accounting & Financial Management Coordinator
Uncommon's Executive Assistant to the CFO is responsible for providing administrative support to the Finance and Accounting teams. The Executive Assistant to the CFO supports and enhances Uncommon's Accounting Finance team by assisting with maintaining a department-wide calendar, helping to create and maintain systems and procedures, and working on team initiatives and projects.
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer; Works closely with all members of the Financial Management and Accounting teams.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The position requires a proactive, and hard-working team player who can handle mission critical projects with enthusiasm, efficiency, and attention to detail. Duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
1. Support of Accounting and Financial Management Team Operations and Systems
* Schedules quarterly Finance Committee and annual budget process meetings and assists with the preparation and distribution of materials.
* Schedules and manages logistics of team meetings
* Assists with the preparation of financial materials for outside stakeholders
* Provides operational support for audits by compiling documentation in response to audit requests, scheduling audit committee meetings, and assisting with the preparation and distribution of materials
* Assists with all government, charter authorizer, and donor financial reporting requirements.
* Creates compliance documentation, including coordinating requests for supporting data and materials from other home office teams and schools.
* Helps complete and submit all reports, invoices and other documentation to grant authorizers.
* Maintains the calendar of grant deadlines.
* Provides direct support to regional teams, home office teams, and schools through grant audits and annual reviews.
2. Support of CFO and other Senior Leaders
* Maintains the CFOs and other senior team members' calendars.
* Support ad-hoc projects and perform variance administrative duties for the Uncommon Accounting and Finance team.
* Conduct research required for strategic team initiatives, special projects, and other special requests for financial information.
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
* Obsessive attention to detail and follow-through
* Proactive mentality
* Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
* Excellent organization, time management, and follow-up skills
* Ability to create and maintain systems that enhance organization efficiency
* Thrives in evolving, fast-paced, high-change dynamic organizations
* Interest in or experience with accounting, finance and/or public grants a plus
* Experience handling sensitive information and ability to maintain confidentiality.
* Competent in Microsoft Office
Minimum required experience:
* Experience providing administrative support to a large team and/or C-suite executive.
Uncommon Schools offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Aside from extensive professional development, all our staff members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.