The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) works in 190 countries and territories to put children first. UNICEF has helped save more children's lives than any other humanitarian organization, by providing health care and immunizations, safe water and sanitation, nutrition, education, emergency relief and more. UNICEF USA supports UNICEF's work through fundraising, advocacy and education in the United States. Together, we are working toward the day when no children die from preventable causes and every child has a safe and healthy childhood. For more information, visit www.unicefusa.org.
Temporary Manager, Advocacy and Engagement
Reporting to the Director of Advocacy and Engagement and jointly reporting to the Managing Director of the Office of Public Policy and Advocacy in Washington D.C., the Manager will help sustain and deepen UNICEF USA's government advocacy work with supporters around the country.
The assignment will last from mid-May until the end of September 2019 with possible extension.
Key Responsibilities/Outcomes (include but are not limited to):
* Work across UNICEF USA departments and regional offices to integrate the Office of Public Policy and Advocacy's (OPPA) work and direction into advocacy and engagement activities throughout the year * Coordinate with Marketing and Communications to incorporate UNICEF USA's advocacy priorities into major campaigns and across web, social and email communications, aligning with UNICEF global advocacy campaigns and moments when appropriate * Draft and disseminate cross-departmental advocacy updates * Work with regional staff to develop, track and report on regional advocacy goals and activities
* Develop and implement strategies to engage UNICEF UNITE volunteer teams in advocacy * Execute quarterly national advocacy webinars on key skills such as relationship building with government office and taking action on legislative priorities * Outreach to UNICEF UNITE teams on monthly calls-to-action and national events on Capitol Hill such as Hill briefings or Annual Summit registration * Lead prep sessions and prepare advocate resources and Congressional drop kits for Advocacy Leads to undertake in-district meetings during August Congress Recess and throughout the year * Develop and update advocacy related UNICEF UNITE volunteer resources
* Create and disseminate online and offline recruitment materials and educational content related to advocacy initiatives for UNICEF supporters * Craft digital online advocacy activations using our online advocacy platform * Oversee the development of advocacy-related video content and legislative one-pagers * Manage advocacy email communications to online advocates and UNICEF UNITE members * Manage content on the advocacy action center/webpage including blogs and legislative updates * Liaise with Social Media and Content Team on creation of shareables and graphics
* Support the execution of Advocacy Day as part of UNICEF USA's Annual Summit (November - March) * Assist in setting and tracking of Advocacy Day goals for regional offices; support Community Engagement Fellows and regional staff in meeting said goals * Co-manage the selection and training of State Leaders-UNICEF USA volunteers-to lead, organize and coordinate all Advocacy Day participants in their Congressional meetings * Lead in developing materials for the Drop Kit folder, a leave-behind resource for Congressional staffers to inform on UNICEF's work and UNICEF USA's legislative priorities
* Track campaign performance analytics to report on outcomes and identify lessons learned * Conduct research and analysis on digital advocacy strategies to identify best practices * Conduct follow up and document outcomes of Congressional meetings in BBCRM (Blackbaud CRM) system for record keeping purposes * Support advocacy and engagement project planning and monitor key milestones to advance strategic objectives * Other duties, as assigned
* Bachelor's degree with a minimum of five years relevant experience with advocacy activation and/or volunteer management in a non-profit or related field * Experience influencing the policy and practice of governments by managing campaigns, advocacy strategy and/or lobby days a plus. Experience working with Congressional Offices also a plus * Strong interpersonal and networking skills and a demonstrated ability to liaise and build relationships with diverse stakeholders and institutions * Ability to navigate complex and changing environments * Excellent administrative and project management skills, particularly in an environment with competing demands and overlapping projects: ability to work independently, take initiative, establish and accomplish priorities when faced with multiple tasks, work with and without deadlines, pay close attention to details and logistics * Proven ability to work independently, take initiative and generate pragmatic solutions to address potential road blocks as well as leverage key opportunities * Prior experience using Digital Advocacy tools (e.g. Phone2Action) a plus * Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a variety of audiences, including public speaking, training and/or facilitation * Demonstrated ability to develop online and offline recruitment materials and educational content * Strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), web based communications, social media; must be a skilled internet researcher * Must demonstrate UNICEF USA Core Values: Trust, Respect, Accountability, Innovation, Teamwork and Service
Must possess current and valid US Work Authorization and be eligible to work for any US employer without sponsorship.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UNICEF USA is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.