Vox Media employees thrive on innovation and change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, and improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology and the world around them. Vox Media's networks and businesses include SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode & Code Conferences, Polygon, Concert, Chorus, Vox Creative, Vox Entertainment, and the Vox Media Podcast Network.
Vox.com's video team is looking for a designer / animator to create animations for our YouTube channel and other social platforms. Animation is crucial to our distinctive explainer style. We need clear visuals that can help explain complex ideas to the general public. You must have a strong sense of design, typography, and data viz. You'll work closely with producers, motion designer, and art director to utilize animation skills that'll elevate our storytelling.
This is a full-time, temporary position lasting 3 months.
What you'll do:
* Work with producers to create visual approaches for videos
* Create original animation work to be included in videos
* Create templates for video series using style guides
* Design and animate charts and maps
* Develop and design styleframes
* Create social media assets for our work across platforms including thumbnail images and original artwork
* Support the art director in team projects
What you'll bring:
* At least two years of experience in motion design/animation with Adobe After Effects or equivalent level of skill
* Experience in finding and collecting relevant archival footage and material
* Fantastic design taste and attention to detail/accuracy
* Data viz experience is a plus
* Stop-motion, painting, music, and nearly any other creative skill is a plus
* Deep familiarity with Vox's video voice and style
* Creative drive to explore brand new approaches to video storytelling
* Awareness of what competitors are doing in video
If this sounds like you, please send us a resume and cover letter. In your letter, please include at least 3 links to your past work (journalistic and/or educational examples preferred), and describe your role in the production of the piece.
Vox.com launched in April 2014. The video team has grown to over 30 people and made a name for Vox as one of the leaders in informative web videos. We publish on our YouTube channel, Facebook, Vox.com, and Netflix, creating videos both independently and in collaboration with the larger vox.com staff. As we grow, we'll need help ensuring a consistent and high standard of quality so that our audience can be assured that they're getting impeccable research along with stylish, beautiful presentation.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.