Superintendent - Mill Brook Terrace
Employment Type: Full-Time
West Side Federation for Senior and Supportive Housing, Inc.
Mill Brook Terrace, 570 East 137th Street, Bronx NY 10454
Job Description: Superintendent
Under the direct supervision of the Building Manager, the superintendent is responsible for proper upkeep and maintenance of Mill Brook Terrace with the goal of providing a safe, well-maintained facility for residents and staff. The Superintendent will carry out all repairs and preventive maintenance tasks within the building and on the grounds. The Superintendent will be responsible for ensuring that all maintenance and custodial work is being done properly and in a timely manner. The superintendent will also oversee projects and guide them to successful and timely conclusions. The superintendent must demonstrate a consistent ability to be flexible to the changing daily needs of the community and to prioritize effectively.
Additionally, the Superintendent will directly supervise the maintenance staff, and will coordinate and collaborate with all Mill Brook Terrace staff and WSFSSH staff to create and maintain an environment of respect and compassion, which enhances the dignity and safety of the residents, staff, and visitors.
- Directly supervise the work of all porters, and will coordinate and collaborate with all employees of Mill Brook Terrace
- Ensure that all maintenance and custodial work in the building is being done properly and in a timely manner
- Ensure that all tenant work requests are responded to within 24 hours, however, in case of emergency, ensure that the situation is addressed immediately.
- The superintendent must submit to management the following:
- Written requests for janitorial, maintenance, and repair supplies when needed.
- Superintendent Weekly Report with attached completed work request orders
- Daily maintenance log report
- Apartment appliances list with model and serial numbers
- Fire extinguisher and smoke/carbon detector location list
- Exhaust fan location list
- Provide a weekly heating report and follow up on heat complaints during the heating season months (October 1st-May 31st)
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Prepare vacant apartments (within thirty (30) days) for occupancy
- Assure that needed Painting, Carpentry, Plumbing, Electrical, Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning tasks (repairs, upgrades, cleaning, basic maintenance) are performed in a competent and timely manner
- Maintain grease traps
- Strip and wax floors,
- Perform minor repairs on small appliances, including: roof fans, air-conditioners, stoves, refrigerators, etc.
- Ensure that all operating equipment is maintained properly and implement procedures in the event of equipment malfunctioning.
- Perform preventive maintenance checks on all machinery and report any defects and preventive measures to management; also, monitor, and ensure that proper preventive maintenance tasks are being performed thoroughly as prescribed, and on schedule.
- Observe water, electrical meters, and boiler system gauges to ensure proper operation, and report any malfunctions to management.
- Liaison with service contractors i.e. (heating system, generator, elevator, compactor, laundry machines, and fire alarm system) when necessary in case of break-down or emergencies.
- Ensure proper on-site recycling procedures that the building complies with all mandated recycling programs.
- Ensure that all staff handling garbage follow appropriate procedures and wear protective attire i.e. goggles, gloves, rubber apron, steel toe boots.
- Ensure the proper functioning and cleanliness of the compactors chute.
- Ensure that the garbage is bagged properly according to sanitation codes, and that garbage and recycling items are set out for pickup as scheduled.
- Assist with all code compliance items, with the goal of maintaining consistent and complete compliance with all code requirements.
- Provide building access to all Government agencies, accompany them on inspection, and report any issues or deficiencies immediately to management.
- Monitor tags on fire extinguishers and any other fire safety equipment, and report any deficiencies to management.
BUILDING AND GROUNDS
- Ensure that all glass windows and exit doors are clean and free of obstruction. In addition, ensure that doors are self-closing and windows open and close properly.
- Ensure that common areas inside and outside the building, are smoke free, clean, and free of hazards.
- Ensure that area in front of the building, including sidewalks, are safe and free of graffiti, debris and other hazards.
- Ensure that grounds/garden/backyard and parking lot areas are clean, well maintained, and free of debris.
- Ensure that snow removal is done in a timely manner; maintain sidewalks free of ice and slipping hazards.
- Work as a member of a team to establish and maintain high level of care and respect for and communication with residents
- Work cooperatively with other staff members
- Share information about resident progress, needs, and problems with other staff in accordance with WSFSSH Confidentiality Policy.
- Attend training sessions and conferences as required for enhancement of job skills
- Implement emergency procedures as necessary
- Submit all required reports in a complete and timely manner
- Assist with other duties as directed
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in building maintenance, preferably as a Superintendent.
- Experience and/or training in painting, boiler maintenance, electrical, plumbing, air conditioning, small appliance respires and carpentry. Prefer person holding Sprinkler and Stand-Pipe Certificate, Certificate of Competency from HPD, and a Boiler License. Sprinkler and Stand-Pipe Certificates will be required before the 90-day probation period ends.
- Experience working with persons with special needs is preferred.
- Able to work in a multicultural and diverse environment
- Able to perform job responsibilities.
WSFSSH is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer (EEO); employment is
based upon employees qualifications without discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, citizenship status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
Loading some great jobs for you...