Whoa Nelly Catering is looking for a Director of Culinary Operations. This is a fancy way to say we need a chef who's good at organization, management, and creative direction. Sound like you? Read on.
Here at Whoa Nelly Catering, we make food that our chefs are proud to serve, and that our clients are thrilled to eat. We love our team, and we re proud of our company culture that has kept the core of our team together for years. Our client roster includes major studios, fashion labels, production companies, high profile individuals, and (at this point) hundreds of couples on their wedding days. We are in an exciting period of growth for our company, and we are seeking a Director of Culinary Operations to lead our kitchen team.
We are actively seeking an individual with a work history that resonates with our company vision and mission to create restaurant-quality food at special events, large and small (emphasis on LARGE). We are seeking an individual with restaurant leadership experience, as well as demonstrated experience with large scale catering productions. This is not a position for someone to grow into; we are looking for an individual with experience who is ready to run with our team.
If this sounds like you, please respond to this post with Director of Culinary Operations in the subject line, and your resume included in the body of the email.
D.C.O. is the creative director of the kitchen, writes and implements menus as needed. The Director of Culinary Operations is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the kitchen s operations in both the commissary kitchen and off-site events. The D.C.O. does most of the master kitchen planning for the prep/event week including ordering, staffing, logistics assistance, and hiring. The nature of this position is largely supervisory and administrative, and experience in these aspects of culinary management are preferred. Hours are primarily daytime hours, working in both the kitchen s office and floating in the kitchen. D.O.C. attends/ chefs VIP events and provides training at off-site events as needed.
- Develop and maintain operational and organizational systems
- Responsible for hiring of all prep kitchen and back of house event staff (cooks, event chefs and sous chefs, van drivers).
- Oversee ordering for the week
- Responsible for all BOH event staffing.
- Create weekly prep schedule, maintaining target prep labor cost percentages
- Event info emails, logistics support
- Review rental orders, create kitchen rental order requests
- Communicating with FOH & BOH team members on Slack message board
- Working with Director of Client Services to build menus and proposals as needed.
- Food costing
- Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent, willing to be available via text and email during days off.
- Menu and recipe development
- Floats in the kitchen and assists with prep in order to oversee production and find opportunities for teaching and training both prep cooks and sous chefs
- Chef VIP tastings and events, event drop ins for staff training and quality control
- Participate in weekly production meetings with FOH/BOH managers
- Conducts kitchen staff reviews and disciplinary actions in tandem/ consultation with the owner
- Maintain relationships with our vendors and farmers
- Maintains health department standards
- Fine or casual fine dining restaurant background of at least 2 years
- Catering experience
- At least 1 year of top level management experience (Executive Chef or Chef de Cuisine)
- Working knowledge of financials (Food & Labor cost)
- Strong skills in organization of systems, planning, data management, analytics, multitasking, and big picture thinking
- Superior attention to detail
- Strong administrative skills. Must be comfortable with basic computer and cloud computing programs (Spreadsheets, basic spreadsheet formulas, Google Drive, Word docs, Recipe costing software, etc.). Can touch type at a speed of at least 50 wpm..
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, excellent spelling and grammar, able to write professional client-interfacing emails. Values team communication.
- Strong leadership skills. Leads by example and fosters teamwork. Creates a positive, supportive, productive working environment. Leads with confidence and kindness.
- Self directed
- Solutions-oriented approach, excellent reasoning and critical thinking.
Salaried position, salary D.O.E.
2 weeks (10 work days) paid vacation given per year worked.
More detail about Whoa Nelly Catering, please visit
Associated topics: cafe, executive kitchen, grill chef, lead, pastry, prep chef, restaurant chef, sous, tavern, team lead