The Director of Diversity and Inclusion provides consultation to firm leadership in the establishment of firm-wide strategic and organizational diversity and inclusion initiatives and helps foster an environment at the firm that embraces each individual's unique background. The successful applicant will demonstrate an ability to analyze, develop and facilitate firm diversity priorities with and among a range of constituencies inside and outside the firm. The Director works collaboratively with the firm's Legal Personnel and Development and Practice Management Departments, as well as Practice Group leaders and Diversity Committees to develop and integrate diversity goals throughout the firm and with an emphasis on the recruitment, professional development and retention of our attorney population.
Assists with proactively supporting client service by actively participating in the firm's Service Excellence initiative. Ensures that staff members are providing quality service to internal members/departments of the firm as well as external clients and vendors by displaying professionalism via electronic and print correspondence, over the telephone and in-person and by encouraging an atmosphere that rewards a \"can do\" attitude.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*
* Conceives, develops and oversees implementation of programs that enhance the firm's reputation and image as a leader in diversity and inclusion programs. Identify trends and best practices across the legal profession.
* Facilitates the ability of the firm to reflect the diversity of our clients and communities in which we practice.
* In collaboration with Diversity Committee Partner chairs and Chief Legal Personnel and Development Officer, oversees firm-wide and office level diversity committees and related affinity group activities.
* Directs and provides leadership to the diversity and inclusion managers and staff: Plans and delegates work of the Diversity and Inclusion Managers and provides oversight and feedback to ensure that work assignments are handled effectively and timely. Provides mentoring, training and development to the Diversity and Inclusion Managers and other staff supporting the function. Develops and communicates objectives and performance expectations and provides ongoing constructive feedback against these objectives routinely. Prepares annual performance evaluations and makes salary and bonus recommendations for Diversity and Inclusion Managers.
* Serves as a resource, mentor and advisor to firm management and diverse lawyers across the firm. Provides career coaching and mentoring for diverse lawyers; in collaboration with Legal Personnel, assists with professional development efforts for diverse lawyers in conjunction with the semi-annual evaluation process.
* Travels regularly to other firm office locations to build relationships and understand the needs of the diversity and inclusion efforts all geographic locations.
* Researches, tracks and analyzes information with respect to firm recruitment, retention and promotion of diverse lawyers. Directs response to client requested and industry surveys. Develops methods for measuring and evaluating effectiveness of diversity programming.
* Identifies opportunities to partner with clients on diversity programs, in alignment with the firm's diversity initiatives. Oversees response to diversity questions in client RFP submissions.
* Supports on-campus and lateral attorney recruiting efforts in collaboration with the legal recruiting team. Establishes and maintains relationships with minority bar and student associations to attract minority candidates.
* In collaboration with the Legal Personnel Professional Development group, develops and delivers training programs on diversity and inclusion topics.
* Represents WilmerHale and serves as a subject matter expert on diversity-related issues and actively participates in bar and related professional associations, conferences, and business meetings.
* Coordinates with the Marketing Communications team on external and internal communications, to include development and maintenance of firm webpages.
* Develops and manages firm-wide diversity budget.
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including written and oral presentation skills;
* Senior-level leadership skills
* Prior management experience
* Strong organizational skills
* Demonstrated ability to effectively and productively facilitate group meeting
* Builds both formal and informal professional networks. Solicits advice, support, championship and sponsorship among broad base of attorneys and staff to effectively develop solutions and manage change.
* Bachelor's Degree is required
* JD is preferred.
* 10+ years of experience developing and/or managing diversity programs, preferably in a large law firm environment is preferred.
WilmerHale is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion,
gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, age, disability or veteran status, or other protected status.