- Wilmer Hale
21 Warren St
WilmerHale is a leading, full-service international law firm with 1,000 lawyers located throughout 12 offices in the United States, Europe and Asia. Our lawyers work at the intersection of government, technology and business, and we remain committed to our guiding principles of providing quality, outstanding legal and client services; developing diversity among our lawyers and staff and fostering an environment that promotes an ambitious spirit, teamwork and collegiality by drawing on the exceptional talents and dynamic experience of our lawyers. Our goal is to reflect the diversity of our clients and the communities in which we practice.
Are you ready to join us?
Reporting to the Director, Programs and Planning, you will join a team of knowledge professionals within the IS Programs and Planning group, responsible for driving the Firm's knowledge management activities. The Knowledge Management (KM) team, in cooperation other IS groups, works with the legal practices to develop and execute methods for effective knowledge sharing, efficient matter execution and value-added collaboration throughout the Firm. The KM team implements and supports processes and systems for capturing, organizing, and making accessible and actionable the knowledge assets of the Firm.
As part of the team, you will support KM technologies, and lead operational tasks associated with maintaining the content in those systems, including using document automation, Artificial Intelligence powered contract analysis, search and other technologies where appropriate. You will help drive awareness and adoption of knowledge-sharing resources and identify innovative methods for the Practice to leverage enterprise knowledge, expertise and technology for superior and efficient client service.
The Knowledge Manager assists with proactively supporting firm-wide client service initiatives. The Knowledge Manager provides quality service to internal members/departments of the Firm and external clients and vendors by displaying professionalism via electronic and print correspondence, over the telephone and in-person and by encouraging an atmosphere that rewards a \"can do\" attitude.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Develop in-depth understanding of the Firm's technologies for document generation and automation, document management, analysis, search, collaboration, litigation support, experience management and other KM technologies as a foundation for advising the Practice on use and adoption.
* Support Practice groups in creating and maintaining comprehensive and current precedent collections, checklists, best practice materials, process maps, practice playbooks, and matter management resources. Promote efficiency in the execution of matter work. Provide guidance on organizational strategies, naming conventions and taxonomies. Help set priorities and provide tactical assistance to minimize the burden on the Practice of developing such resources. As needed, provide hands-on assistance in updating and posting forms and other precedents.
* Help develop, implement, and sustain viable means of continued knowledge sharing within a \"least privileged access\" environment, which may include assisting Practices to develop robust precedent collections and assisting lawyers with search strategies and requests, among others.
* Gain an in depth understanding of the firm's litigation docketing tool (Court Alert) and work with Managing Attorney's Office to leverage it for knowledge management purposes. Become familiar with other litigation support tools, including research and analytic resources, to promote them as part of the efficiency toolkit available to the Practice.
* Acquire an understanding of document automation and analysis technologies for efficiency in internal and externally-facing document generation. Serve as document automation power author and work with the Practice to automate drafting tasks where appropriate. Help support the Firm's search tools to deliver quality search results and a high-value user experience. Help assess the future of search at WilmerHale including evaluating new search products and discerning the impact of a least privilege security model on the viability and value of enterprise search. Creatively apply functionality to address Practice needs.
* As assigned, work with other IS groups to contribute to a cross-functional project team in the redesign and upgrade of the firm's intranet. Assist with the firm's transition to an Office 365 environment, with a focus on identifying and promoting new opportunities for knowledge sharing and collaboration.
* Respond to attorney requests for assistance in locating work product or other knowledge assets. Help educate attorneys and other user populations on knowledge management resources. Participate in on-boarding new attorneys and laterals. Conduct trainings and develop supporting collateral.
* Work cooperatively with the Business Relationship Managers (BRMs) to proactively identify and respond to the knowledge management needs of the Practice and implement appropriate solutions. Develop productive relationships with Practice Managers and other KM contacts within the Practice. Identify process improvement opportunities within the Practice. Where appropriate, work with stakeholders to develop and implement changes, including achieving adoption.
* Support the efforts of the Experience and Relationship Management team in establishing methods for capturing valuable information regarding the Firm's matters, experience, outcomes, and expertise.
* As appropriate, contribute to the Matter Management initiative. Help develop resources and facilitate matter debrief activities.
* Show flexibility in responding to workload fluctuation. As needed, assist other team members and participate in other group initiatives. As assigned by the Director, assume lead or supporting role on IS and Firm projects.
* Stay abreast of the increasing pressures on the legal industry and the changing methods of delivering legal services. Think creatively about technology and improved processes to respond to those demands to help the Firm remain at the forefront of innovation in meeting our clients' expectations for high quality and cost-effective legal service.
* Deep understanding of knowledge management or other practice technologies, and ability to quickly learn new technologies. Prior experience with document automation and analysis tools, search solutions, intranets, and document management systems a plus.
* Experience with legal contracts terminology and drafting. Ability to read, interpret and analyze legal contract language. Demonstrated success in understanding and interpreting the structure and clauses of legal agreements. Familiarity with litigation pleadings, processes, terminology, and court proceedings. Experience in other legal practice areas may be an acceptable substitute if it demonstrates an overall understanding of legal documents and concepts, coupled with a willingness to become familiar with the needs of other practices.
* Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with attorneys and staff at all levels.
* Strong presentation skills, and polished written and oral communication skills. Ability to explain complex concepts in simple terms.
* Superior organizational skills. Strong attention to detail and ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
* Proven success at effecting business and organizational change in a law firm or other professional service organization. Ability to persuade skeptical and change-resistant audiences.
* Interest in and ability to acquire new skills, tackle challenging projects, and drive initiatives to successful results.
* Proven success working independently with minimal supervision and be a cooperative and effective contributor to larger teams.
* Should project a professional demeanor, effectively represent IS, exhibit sound judgment, and maintain confidentiality.
* Besides contributing to the firm's knowledge management and innovation initiatives at a strategic level, must demonstrate a willingness to perform tactical operational tasks in support of the Practices' knowledge management needs.
Education & Experience:
* At least three (3) years' experience working in knowledge management, practice support, LPM, paralegal or similar paraprofessional support role in a law firm or other professional services setting. Candidates with experience as a practicing lawyer, coupled with a demonstrated desire to successfully transition into an administrative support role, will also be considered.
* Experience in a large law firm or professional services organization strongly preferred.
WilmerHale is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, age, disability or veteran status, or other protected status.* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.